Managing the Agricultural Revenue Risk in Brazil: Implications for Developing a Crop Insurance Program
AbstractSince 2003 crop insurance programs became the focus of agricultural policy in Brazil. Given the increasing interest in insurance, accurate calculation of premium values is of great importance. We address the issue of the revenue distribution at the farm-level and its implication to the Brazilian crop insurance contract. We estimate the probability of loss by using the Skew-normal distribution of revenue in the West of Parana (South of Brazil). Results show that insurers (empirical) rates tend to underestimate the risk in the lower coverage levels (50% and 60%). At the level of 70% of coverage the Empirical Rate and the Skew-Normal Rate are similar on average.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Agricultural and Applied Economics Association in its series 2013 Annual Meeting, August 4-6, 2013, Washington, D.C. with number 151289.
Date of creation: 2013
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org
More information through EDIRC
revenue insurance; premium rate; skew-normal distribution; agricultural policy; Agricultural and Food Policy; Risk and Uncertainty;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AGR-2013-07-05 (Agricultural Economics)
- NEP-ALL-2013-07-05 (All new papers)
- NEP-IAS-2013-07-05 (Insurance Economics)
- NEP-RMG-2013-07-05 (Risk Management)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Skees, Jerry R. & Harwood, Joy L. & Somwaru, Agapi & Perry, Janet E., 1998. "The Potential For Revenue Insurance Policies In The South," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 30(01), July.
- Roberts, Matthew C. & Goodwin, Barry K. & Coble, Keith H., 1998.
"Measurement Of Price Risk In Revenue Insurance: Implications Of Distributional Assumptions,"
1998 Annual meeting, August 2-5, Salt Lake City, UT
20840, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Goodwin, Barry K. & Roberts, Matthew C. & Coble, Keith H., 2000. "Measurement Of Price Risk In Revenue Insurance: Implications Of Distributional Assumptions," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 25(01), July.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.