"Local is the New Organic": Do Consumers Agree?
AbstractThere have been numerous studies and growing interests to identify consumer preferences and compare willingness-to-pay for different value-added food labels or attributes. This paper uses stated preference data from choice experiments in a mail survey in Kentucky and Ohio to analyze consumer preferences for a host of value-added attributes of processed blackberry jam. Results from the study confirm positive willingness-to-pay for both organic and local attributes as well as other label claims. However, consumers were found to be willing to pay less for organic blackberry jam than jam identified as being produced in smaller state regions. Furthermore, the study found some evidence of substitution between these two attributes, an issue receiving minimal attention in the existing literature.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Agricultural and Applied Economics Association in its series 2013 Annual Meeting, August 4-6, 2013, Washington, D.C. with number 151265.
Date of creation: 2013
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org
More information through EDIRC
willingness-to-pay; local and organic processed food products; choice experiment; conditional logit model; Mixed Logit model; processed food labels; Consumer/Household Economics; Food Consumption/Nutrition/Food Safety; Q13;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- Q13 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Agricultural Markets and Marketing; Cooperatives; Agribusiness
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AGR-2013-07-05 (Agricultural Economics)
- NEP-ALL-2013-07-05 (All new papers)
- NEP-DCM-2013-07-05 (Discrete Choice Models)
- NEP-MKT-2013-07-05 (Marketing)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- LefÃ¨vre, MÃ©lanie, 2014. "Do Consumers Pay More for What They Value More? The Case of Local Milk-based Dairy Products in Senegal," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 43(1), April.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.