Assessing the Efficiency of Alternative Best Management Practices to Reduce Nonpoint Source Pollution in the Broiler Production Region of Louisiana
AbstractWe demonstrate the impact of choosing suites of best management practices (BMPs) to reduce nitrogen, phosphorus and sediment load in Chenier Creek water segment located within the Baouf watershed, Louisiana. Simulation outputs generated from MAPSHED are used to generate regression coefficients and marginal effects which are then used in the optimization model. Results indicated that agricultural land retirement can meet up to 35% goal in phosphorus reduction with $840132. With restriction on ag land conversion to 10% available row crop area, it was found three different BMPs can reduce up to 20% phosphorus compared to no BMP adoption scenario. This goal in reduction of phosphorus can also bring down the nitrogen and sediment pollution by 5 and 33 percents, respectively. Careful modeling of different BMPs and development of optimization model can help to meet the water quality goal in Louisiana.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Agricultural and Applied Economics Association in its series 2013 Annual Meeting, August 4-6, 2013, Washington, D.C. with number 150463.
Date of creation: 2013
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org
More information through EDIRC
Best management practices; cost; optimization; water quality; Farm Management; Research and Development/Tech Change/Emerging Technologies; Resource /Energy Economics and Policy;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AGR-2013-06-24 (Agricultural Economics)
- NEP-ALL-2013-06-24 (All new papers)
- NEP-CMP-2013-06-24 (Computational Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Paudel, Krishna P. & Gauthier, Wayne M. & Westra, John V. & Hall, Larry M., 2008. "Factors Influencing and Steps Leading to the Adoption of Best Management Practices by Louisiana Dairy Farmers," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 40(01), April.
- DeVuyst, Eric A. & Ipe, Viju C., 1999. "A Group Incentive Contract To Promote Adoption Of Best Management Practices," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 24(02), December.
- Dinar, Ariel & Knapp, Keith C. & Letey, J., 1989. "Irrigation water pricing policies to reduce and finance subsurface drainage disposal," Agricultural Water Management, Elsevier, vol. 16(1-2), pages 155-171, August.
- Stevens, Brandt K., 1988. "Fiscal implications of effluent charges and input taxes," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 15(3), pages 285-296, September.
- King, Dennis M., 2005. "Crunch Time for Water Quality Trading," Choices, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 20(1).
- Rahelizatovo, Noro C. & Gillespie, Jeffrey M., 2004. "The Adoption of Best-Management Practices by Louisiana Dairy Producers," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 36(01), April.
- Horan, Richard D. & Shortle, James S. & Abler, David G., 1998. "Ambient Taxes When Polluters Have Multiple Choices," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 36(2), pages 186-199, September.
- Joseph C. Cooper & Russ W. Keim, 1996.
"Incentive Payments to Encourage Farmer Adoption of Water Quality Protection Practices,"
American Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 78(1), pages 54-64.
- Cooper, Joseph C. & Keim, Russ, 1996. "Incentive payments to encourage farmer adoption of water quality protection practices," MPRA Paper 24779, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.