Export Restrictions and Market Uncertainty: Evidence from the Analysis of Price Volatility in the Ukrainian Wheat Market
AbstractThe impact of export restrictions on market uncertainty has not been investigated before. This paper analyses the development of price volatility in the Ukrainian wheat market characterized by export restrictions during the commodity price peaks 2007/08 and 2010/11 within a dynamic conditional correlation GARCH model. We conclude that the export controls in Ukraine have not significantly reduced price volatility on the domestic wheat market. On the contrary, our findings suggest that the multiple and unpredictable political interference of the Ukrainian government on the wheat export market has substantially increased market uncertainty which led to pronounced additional price volatility in the market. The highly uncertain and unpredictable environment of wheat markets with restricted exports has dramatic consequences for the grain sector in Ukraine and prevents its further development.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Agricultural and Applied Economics Association in its series 2013 Annual Meeting, August 4-6, 2013, Washington, D.C. with number 150308.
Date of creation: 2013
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org
More information through EDIRC
Demand and Price Analysis; International Relations/Trade; Risk and Uncertainty;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2013-06-24 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Engle, Robert F & Sheppard, Kevin K, 2001.
"Theoretical and Empirical Properties of Dynamic Conditional Correlation Multivariate GARCH,"
University of California at San Diego, Economics Working Paper Series
qt5s2218dp, Department of Economics, UC San Diego.
- Robert F. Engle & Kevin Sheppard, 2001. "Theoretical and Empirical properties of Dynamic Conditional Correlation Multivariate GARCH," NBER Working Papers 8554, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gotz, Linde & Qiu, Feng & Gervais, Jean-Philippe & Glauben, Thomas, 2012. "Export Restrictions And Multiple Spatial Price Equilibria When International Prices Spike: Export Quotas For Wheat In Ukraine," 2012: New Rules of Trade?, December 2012, San Diego, California 143179, International Agricultural Trade Research Consortium.
- Will Martin & Kym Anderson, 2012.
"Export Restrictions and Price Insulation During Commodity Price Booms,"
American Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 94(2), pages 422-427.
- Anderson, Kym & Martin, Will, 2011. "Export Restrictions and Price Insulation During Commodity Price Booms," CEPR Discussion Papers 8494, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Martin, Will & Anderson, Kym, 2011. "Export restrictions and price insulation during commodity price booms," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5645, The World Bank.
- Anderson, Kym & Nelgen, Signe, 2010.
"Trade Barrier Volatility and Agricultural Price Stabilization,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
8102, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Anderson, Kym & Nelgen, Signe, 2012. "Trade Barrier Volatility and Agricultural Price Stabilization," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 40(1), pages 36-48.
- Kym Anderson & Signe Nelgen, 2010. "Trade Barrier Volatility and Agricultural Price Stabilization," Centre for International Economic Studies Working Papers 2010-16, University of Adelaide, Centre for International Economic Studies.
- Gardebroek, Cornelis & Hernandez, Manuel A., 2013.
"Do energy prices stimulate food price volatility? Examining volatility transmission between US oil, ethanol and corn markets,"
Elsevier, vol. 40(C), pages 119-129.
- Gardebroek, Cornelis & Hernandez, Manuel A., 2012. "Do energy prices stimulate food price volatility? Examining volatility transmission between US oil, ethanol and corn markets," 123rd Seminar, February 23-24, 2012, Dublin, Ireland 122476, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Hernandez, Manuel A. & Gardebroek, Cornelis, 2012. "Do energy prices stimulate food price volatility? Examining volatility transmission between US oil, ethanol and corn markets," 2012 Annual Meeting, August 12-14, 2012, Seattle, Washington 124583, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Fackler, Paul L. & Goodwin, Barry K., 2001. "Spatial price analysis," Handbook of Agricultural Economics, in: B. L. Gardner & G. C. Rausser (ed.), Handbook of Agricultural Economics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 17, pages 971-1024 Elsevier.
- Kym Anderson, 2012.
"Agricultural Trade Distortions During the Global Financial Crisis,"
Departmental Working Papers
2012-05, The Australian National University, Arndt-Corden Department of Economics.
- Kym Anderson & Signe Nelgen, 2012. "Agricultural trade distortions during the global financial crisis," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 28(2), pages 235-260, SUMMER.
- Anderson, Kym & Nelgen, Signe, 2012. "Agricultural trade distortions during the global financial crisis," CEPR Discussion Papers 9086, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Philip C. Abbott, 2012. "Export Restrictions as Stabilization Responses to Food Crisis," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 94(2), pages 428-434.
- Götz, Linde & Glauben, Thomas & Brümmer, Bernhard, 2013. "Wheat export restrictions and domestic market effects in Russia and Ukraine during the food crisis," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(C), pages 214-226.
- Bernhard Brümmer & Stephan von Cramon-Taubadel & Sergiy Zorya, 2009. "The impact of market and policy instability on price transmission between wheat and flour in Ukraine," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 36(2), pages 203-230, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.