Nonlinearities in Regional Rice Prices in the Philippines: Evidence from a Smooth Transition Autoregressive (STAR) Approach
AbstractThis paper investigates nonlinear dynamics in monthly rice prices of 16 regions in the Philippines at three levels: farm gate, wholesale and retail, over the period of January 1990 to December 2012. We used a series of tests to investigate whether the regional prices are characterized by linear processes or non-linear smooth transition autoregressive (STAR)-type dynamics. Results indicate that STAR-type nonlinearity exists in several regions, and particularly for farm gate prices. The most common process is a logistic STAR dynamic characterizing an asymmetric price behavior determined by two regimes and a smooth switching process.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Agricultural and Applied Economics Association in its series 2013 Annual Meeting, August 4-6, 2013, Washington, D.C. with number 150246.
Date of creation: 2013
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org
More information through EDIRC
nonlinearity; rice price; smooth transition; Crop Production/Industries; International Development; Research Methods/ Statistical Methods;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2013-06-24 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mainardi, Stefano, 2001. "Limited arbitrage in international wheat markets: threshold and smooth transition cointegration," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 45(3), September.
- Lin, Chien-Fu Jeff & Terasvirta, Timo, 1994. "Testing the constancy of regression parameters against continuous structural change," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 62(2), pages 211-228, June.
- Ping Zhang & Stanley M. Fletcher & Dale H. Carley, 1995. "Peanut price transmission asymmetry in peanut butter," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 11(1), pages 13-20.
- Holt, Matthew T. & Balagtas, Joseph V., 2009.
"Estimating Structural Change with Smooth Transition Regressions: an Application to Meat Demand,"
15331, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Matthew T. Holt & Joseph V. Balagtas, 2009. "Estimating Structural Change with Smooth Transition Regressions: An Application to Meat Demand," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 91(5), pages 1424-1431.
- Serra, Teresa & Goodwin, Barry K., 2002.
"Price Transmission And Asymmetric Adjustment In The Spanish Dairy Sector,"
2002 Annual meeting, July 28-31, Long Beach, CA
19622, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Teresa Serra & Barry Goodwin, 2003. "Price transmission and asymmetric adjustment in the Spanish dairy sector," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 35(18), pages 1889-1899.
- Giliola Frey & Matteo Manera, 2007.
"Econometric Models Of Asymmetric Price Transmission,"
Journal of Economic Surveys,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 21(2), pages 349-415, 04.
- Matteo Manera & Giliola Frey, 2005. "Econometric Models of Asymmetric Price Transmission," Working Papers 2005.100, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Barry K. Goodwin & Matthew T. Holt, 1999. "Price Transmission and Asymmetric Adjustment in the U.S. Beef Sector," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 81(3), pages 630-637.
- Stefan Reitz & Frank Westerhoff, 2007. "Commodity price cycles and heterogeneous speculators: a STAR–GARCH model," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 33(2), pages 231-244, September.
- David Ubilava & Matt Holt, 2013. "El Niño southern oscillation and its effects on world vegetable oil prices: assessing asymmetries using smooth transition models," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 57(2), pages 273-297, 04.
- Peri, Massimo & Baldi, Lucia, 2010. "Vegetable oil market and biofuel policy: An asymmetric cointegration approach," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(3), pages 687-693, May.
- Parrott, Scott D. & Eastwood, David B. & Brooker, John R., 2001. "Testing For Symmetry In Price Transmission: An Extension Of The Shiller Lag Structure With An Application To Fresh Tomatoes," Journal of Agribusiness, Agricultural Economics Association of Georgia, vol. 19(1).
- Terasvirta, T & Anderson, H M, 1992. "Characterizing Nonlinearities in Business Cycles Using Smooth Transition Autoregressive Models," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 7(S), pages S119-36, Suppl. De.
- Gerald E. Shively, 1996. "Food Price Variability and Economic Reform: An ARCH Approach for Ghana," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 78(1), pages 126-136.
- von Cramon-Taubadel, Stephan, 1998. "Estimating Asymmetric Price Transmission with the Error Correction Representation: An application to the German Pork Market," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 25(1), pages 1-18.
- David Ubilava, 2012. "Modeling Nonlinearities in the U.S. Soybean‐to‐Corn Price Ratio: A Smooth Transition Autoregression Approach," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 28(1), pages 29-41, 01.
- Islam Hassouneh & Teresa Serra & José M. Gil, 2010. "Price transmission in the Spanish bovine sector: the BSE effect," Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 41(1), pages 33-42, 01.
- Pavel Vavra & Barry K. Goodwin, 2005. "Analysis of Price Transmission Along the Food Chain," OECD Food, Agriculture and Fisheries Papers 3, OECD Publishing.
- Bernard, John C. & Willett, Lois Schertz, 1996. "Asymmetric Price Relationships In The U.S. Broiler Industry," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 28(02), December.
- Robert Romain & Maurice Doyon & Mathieu Frigon, 2002. "Effects of state regulations on marketing margins and price transmission asymmetry: Evidence from the New York City and upstate New York fluid milk markets," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 18(3), pages 301-315.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.