Assessing Korean Consumers’ Valuation for BSE Tested and Country of Origin Labeled Beef Products
AbstractThe objective of this study is to estimate Korean consumers’ willingness to pay (WTP) for beef products with BSE testing and country of origin labeling. We use a choice experiment to examine consumers’ valuation for beef products with these labels. In addition to analysis using the pooled sample, we also conduct sub-sample analyses based on consumers’ level of risk perception about beef consumption and selected socio-demographic characteristics. Results suggest that Korean consumers value BSE tested beef. They also have a preference for domestic beef vis-à-vis imported beef. When we conducted separate analysis between respondents who have low vs high risk perception about beef consumption, results suggest that those with high risk perception tend to value BSE testing more than country of origin labeling while those with low risk perception value country of origin labeling more than BSE testing. Moreover, results from separate analysis between respondents who have higher education vs lower education and between older vs younger respondents suggest that young or high educated respondents tend to value BSE testing and imported beef from countries which have not experienced BSE outbreaks more than do older or lower educated respondents.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Agricultural and Applied Economics Association in its series 2013 Annual Meeting, August 4-6, 2013, Washington, D.C. with number 149615.
Date of creation: 2013
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org
More information through EDIRC
Willingness-to-Pay; BSE test label; Risk Perception; Country of Origin; Choice Experiment; Agricultural and Food Policy; Demand and Price Analysis; Food Consumption/Nutrition/Food Safety; Institutional and Behavioral Economics;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AGR-2013-06-04 (Agricultural Economics)
- NEP-ALL-2013-06-04 (All new papers)
- NEP-DCM-2013-06-04 (Discrete Choice Models)
- NEP-EXP-2013-06-04 (Experimental Economics)
- NEP-MKT-2013-06-04 (Marketing)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chanjin Chung & Tracy Boyer & Sungill Han, 2009. "Valuing Quality Attributes and Country of Origin in the Korean Beef Market," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 60(3), pages 682-698.
- Jun Yang & Ellen Goddard, 2011. "Canadian Consumer Responses to BSE with Heterogeneous Risk Perceptions and Risk Attitudes," Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics/Revue canadienne d'agroeconomie, Canadian Agricultural Economics Society/Societe canadienne d'agroeconomie, vol. 59(4), pages 493-518, December.
- Jayson L. Lusk & F. Bailey Norwood, 2005. "Effect of Experimental Design on Choice-Based Conjoint Valuation Estimates," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 87(3), pages 771-785.
- Daniel McFadden & Kenneth Train, 2000. "Mixed MNL models for discrete response," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 15(5), pages 447-470.
- Jayson L. Lusk, 2003.
"Effects of Cheap Talk on Consumer Willingness-to-Pay for Golden Rice,"
American Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 85(4), pages 840-856.
- Lusk, Jayson L., 2002. "Effects Of Cheap Talk On Consumer Willingness-To-Pay For Golden Rice," 2002 Annual meeting, July 28-31, Long Beach, CA 19597, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Jayson L. Lusk & Keith H. Coble, 2005. "Risk Perceptions, Risk Preference, and Acceptance of Risky Food," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 87(2), pages 393-405.
- Cranfield, John A.L., 2011. "Consumer acceptance and valuation of beef that has been tested for BSE," 2011 Annual Meeting, July 24-26, 2011, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 103458, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- McCluskey, Jill J. & Grimsrud, Kristine M. & Ouchi, Hiromi & Wahl, Thomas I., 2005. "Bovine spongiform encephalopathy in Japan: consumers’ food safety perceptions and willingness to pay for tested beef," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 49(2), June.
- Carlsson, Fredrik & Frykblom, Peter & Johan Lagerkvist, Carl, 2005.
"Using cheap talk as a test of validity in choice experiments,"
Elsevier, vol. 89(2), pages 147-152, November.
- Carlsson, Fredrik & Frykblom, Peter & Lagerkvist, Carl-Johan, 2004. "Using Cheap-Talk as a Test of Validity in Choice Experiments," Working Papers in Economics 128, University of Gothenburg, Department of Economics.
- Kar H. Lim & Wuyang Hu & Leigh J. Maynard & Ellen Goddard, 2013.
"U.S. Consumers’ Preference and Willingness to Pay for Country-of-Origin-Labeled Beef Steak and Food Safety Enhancements,"
Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics/Revue canadienne d'agroeconomie,
Canadian Agricultural Economics Society/Societe canadienne d'agroeconomie, vol. 61(1), pages 93-118, 03.
- Lim, Kar Ho & Maynard, Leigh J. & Hu, Wuyang & Goddard, Ellen W., 2011. "U.S. Consumers’ Preference and Willingness to Pay for Country-of-Origin-Labeled Beef Steak and Food Safety Enhancements," 2011 Annual Meeting, July 24-26, 2011, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 103385, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Wuyang Hu & Michele M. Veeman & Wiktor L. Adamowicz, 2005. "Labelling Genetically Modified Food: Heterogeneous Consumer Preferences and the Value of Information," Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics/Revue canadienne d'agroeconomie, Canadian Agricultural Economics Society/Societe canadienne d'agroeconomie, vol. 53(1), pages 83-102, 03.
- Frode Alfnes, 2004. "Stated preferences for imported and hormone-treated beef: application of a mixed logit model," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 31(1), pages 19-37, March.
- Chung, Chanjin & Briggeman, Brian C. & Han, Sungill, 2012. "Willingness to Pay for Beef Quality Attributes: A Latent Segmentation Analysis of Korean Grocery Shoppers," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 44(04), November.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.