Quota Deregulation and Organic versus Conventional Milk – A Bayesian Distance Function Approach
AbstractMilk quota trading rules differ across EU member countries. In Denmark a biannual milk quota exchange was set up in 1997 to promote a more efficient reallocation of milk quotas as well as to reduce transaction costs related to the searching and matching of sellers and buyers. Using two comprehensive panel data sets on organic and conventional milk farms this study attempts to disentangle the effects of the introduction of quota transferability on the production structure of those farms as well as the probability of market entry/exit. Bayesian estimation techniques are used to estimate an input oriented generalized Leontief distance function as well as a curvature constrained specification. The results suggest that the deregulation in the quota allocation mechanism led to an increased allocative efficiency of organic as well as conventional milk production as well as a relative shift of the PPF in favor of the production of organic milk.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association) in its series 2008 Annual Meeting, July 27-29, 2008, Orlando, Florida with number 6425.
Date of creation: 2008
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org
More information through EDIRC
Agricultural and Food Policy; Livestock Production/Industries;
Other versions of this item:
- Sauer, Johannes, 2008. "Quota Deregulation and Organic versus Conventional Milk – A Bayesian Distance Function Approach," 82nd Annual Conference, March 31 - April 2, 2008, Royal Agricultural College, Cirencester, UK 36869, Agricultural Economics Society.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hervé Guyomard & Xavier Delache & Xavier Irz & Louis-Pascal Mane, 1996. "A Microeconometric Analysis Of Milk Quota Transfer: Application To French Producers," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 47(1-4), pages 206-223.
- O'Donnell, Christopher J. & Coelli, Timothy J., 2005.
"A Bayesian approach to imposing curvature on distance functions,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 126(2), pages 493-523, June.
- Tim J. Coelli & Chris O'Donnell, 2003. "A Bayesian Approach To Imposing Curvature On Distance Functions," CEPA Working Papers Series WP032003, School of Economics, University of Queensland, Australia.
- Lovell, C A Knox & Sickles, Robin C, 1983. "Testing Efficiency Hypotheses in Joint Production: A Parametric Approach," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 65(1), pages 51-58, February.
- Catherine J. Morrison Paul & Warren E. Johnston & Gerald A. G. Frengley, 2000. "Efficiency in New Zealand Sheep and Beef Farming: The Impacts of Regulatory Reform," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 82(2), pages 325-337, May.
- Terrell, Dek, 1996. "Incorporating Monotonicity and Concavity Conditions in Flexible Functional Forms," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 11(2), pages 179-94, March-Apr.
- Diewert, Walter E & Wales, Terence J, 1987.
"Flexible Functional Forms and Global Curvature Conditions,"
Econometric Society, vol. 55(1), pages 43-68, January.
- W. Erwin Diewert & T.J. Wales, 1989. "Flexible Functional Forms and Global Curvature Conditions," NBER Technical Working Papers 0040, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rasmussen, Svend & Neilsen, A Hjortshoj, 1985. "The Impact of Quotas on the Optimal Adjustment of Milk Production at the Farm Level," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 12(4), pages 351-64.
- Johannes Sauer, 2006. "Economic Theory and Econometric Practice: Parametric Efficiency Analysis," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 31(4), pages 1061-1087, November.
- repec:fth:louvco:0042 is not listed on IDEAS
- Stefanou, Spiro E, et al, 1992. "Dynamic Structure of Production under a Quota: The Case of Milk Production in the Federal Republic of Germany," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 19(3), pages 283-99.
- John Geweke, 1999. "Using Simulation Methods for Bayesian Econometric Models," Computing in Economics and Finance 1999 832, Society for Computational Economics.
- Atkinson, Scott E & Cornwell, Christopher & Honerkamp, Olaf, 2003. "Measuring and Decomposing Productivity Change: Stochastic Distance Function Estimation versus Data Envelopment Analysis," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 21(2), pages 284-94, April.
- Kumbhakar, Subal C, 1989. "Estimation of Technical Efficiency Using Flexible Functional Form and Panel Data," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 7(2), pages 253-58, April.
- Colman, David, 2000. "Inefficiencies in the UK milk quota system," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 25(1), pages 1-16, February.
- repec:rpp:wpaper:9605 is not listed on IDEAS
- Peter Bogetoft & Kurt Nielsen & Henrik Ballebye Olesen, 2003. "The single-bid restriction on milk quota exchanges," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 30(2), pages 193-215, June.
- Alston, Julian M., 1981. "A Note on the Effects of Non-Transferable Quotas on Supply Functions," Review of Marketing and Agricultural Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 49(03), December.
- Antonio Alvarez & Carlos Arias & Luis Orea, 2006. "Explaining Differences in Milk Quota Values: The Role of Economic Efficiency," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 88(1), pages 182-193.
- Kelvin Balcombe & Hristos Doucouliagos & Iain Fraser, 2007. "Input usage, output mix and industry deregulation: an analysis of the Australian dairy manufacturing industry ," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 51(2), pages 137-156, 06.
- Daan L. Ooms & Jack H. M. Peerlings, 2005. "Effects of EU dairy policy reform for Dutch dairy farming: a primal approach using GMM estimation," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 32(4), pages 517-537, December.
- Kloek, Tuen & van Dijk, Herman K, 1978. "Bayesian Estimates of Equation System Parameters: An Application of Integration by Monte Carlo," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(1), pages 1-19, January.
- J. Sauer & B. Balint, 2008. "Distorted prices and producer efficiency: the case of Romania," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 29(2), pages 131-142, April.
- Geweke, John, 1994.
"Priors for Macroeconomic Time Series and Their Application,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 10(3-4), pages 609-632, August.
- John Geweke, 1992. "Priors for macroeconomic time series and their application," Discussion Paper / Institute for Empirical Macroeconomics 64, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Ann C. Ewasechko & Theodore M. Horbulyk, 1995. "Interprovincial Reallocation of Market Sharing Quota for Industrial Milk," Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics/Revue canadienne d'agroeconomie, Canadian Agricultural Economics Society/Societe canadienne d'agroeconomie, vol. 43(2), pages 191-202, 07.
- Hailu, Atakelty & Veeman, Terrence S., 2000. "Environmentally Sensitive Productivity Analysis of the Canadian Pulp and Paper Industry, 1959-1994: An Input Distance Function Approach," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 40(3), pages 251-274, November.
- Diewert, W. E., 1973. "Functional forms for profit and transformation functions," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 6(3), pages 284-316, June.
- Johannes Sauer & Klaus Frohberg, 2007. "Allocative efficiency of rural water supply – a globally flexible SGM cost frontier," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 27(1), pages 31-40, February.
- Lau, Lawrence J & Yotopoulos, Pan A, 1971. "A Test for Relative Efficiency and Application to Indian Agriculture," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 61(1), pages 94-109, March.
- Nehring, Richard F. & Sauer, Johannes & Gillespie, Jeffrey M. & Hallahan, Charles B., 2011. "Intensive versus Extensive Dairy Production Systems: Dairy States in the Eastern and Midwestern U.S. and Key Pasture Countries the E.U.: Determining the Competitive Edge," 2011 Annual Meeting, February 5-8, 2011, Corpus Christi, Texas 98824, Southern Agricultural Economics Association.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.