The "supply-of-storage" for natural gas in California
AbstractDo natural gas storage decisions in California respond to futures price spreads? Daily data about flows into and out of storage facilities in California over 2001-2005 and daily price spreads are used to investigate whether the net injection profile is consistent with the "supply-of-storage" curve deduced by Working for wheat. Storage decisions in California do seem to be influenced by intertemporal signals on NYMEX, but the magnitude of the effect is small. Strong seasonal and weekly cycles determine the net injection profile to a considerable extent. Regulatory requirements and operational constraints also limit the size of the response to intertemporal arbitrage opportunities. Results are surprisingly sensitive to the level of aggregation considered.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association) in its series 2005 Annual meeting, July 24-27, Providence, RI with number 19288.
Date of creation: 2005
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org
More information through EDIRC
Resource /Energy Economics and Policy;
Other versions of this item:
- Rocío Uría & Jeffrey Williams, 2007. "The Supply of Storage for Natural Gas in California," The Energy Journal, International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Number 3), pages 31-50.
- F0 - International Economics - - General
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Corinne Chaton & Anna Creti & Bertrand Villeneuve, 2005.
"The Economics of Seasonal Gas Storage,"
2005-52, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Villeneuve, Bertrand & Creti, Anna & Chaton, Corinne, 2005. "The Economics of Seasonal Gas Storage," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/11515, Paris Dauphine University.
- CHATON Corinne & CRETI Anna & VILLENEUVE Bertrand, 2006. "The Economics of Seasonal Gas Storage," LERNA Working Papers 06.01.194, LERNA, University of Toulouse.
- Chaton, Corinne & Creti, Anna & Villeneuve, Bertrand, 2008.
"Some economics of seasonal gas storage,"
Elsevier, vol. 36(11), pages 4235-4246, November.
- Villeneuve, Bertrand & Creti, Anna & Chaton, Corinne, 2008. "Some economics of seasonal gas storage," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/5365, Paris Dauphine University.
- Chaton, Corinne & Creti, Anna & Villeneuve, Bertrand, 2008. "Some Economics of Seasonal Gas Storage," MPRA Paper 11984, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.