The Effect of Entry by Supercenter and Warehouse Club Retailers on Grocery Sales and Small Supermarkets: A Spatial Analysis
AbstractThis research evaluates the effects of entry by supercenters and warehouse clubs on retail grocery sales and the exit of small supermarkets. Drawing on literature from trade area analysis, agglomeration, and location theory, spatial econometric models are estimated. Results suggest that warehouse and supercenter stores have a significant and large effect on the change in grocery sales and the exit of small supermarkets operating at the county level.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association) in its series 2005 Annual meeting, July 24-27, Providence, RI with number 19176.
Date of creation: 2005
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Capps, Oral, Jr. & Griffin, James M., 1998. "Effect Of A Mass Merchandiser On Traditional Food Retailers," Journal of Food Distribution Research, Food Distribution Research Society, vol. 29(1), February.
- Emek Basker, 2002.
"Job Creation or Destruction? Labor-Market Effects of Wal-Mart Expansion,"
0215, Department of Economics, University of Missouri, revised 14 Jan 2004.
- Emek Basker, 2005. "Job Creation or Destruction? Labor Market Effects of Wal-Mart Expansion," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 87(1), pages 174-183, February.
- Emek Basker, 2003. "Job Creation or Destruction? Labor-Market Effects of Wal-Mart Expansion," Labor and Demography 0303002, EconWPA, revised 11 Mar 2005.
- Woo, Byung-Joon & Huang, Chung L. & Epperson, James E. & Cude, Brenda J., 2001. "Effect Of A New Wal-Mart Supercenter On Local Retail Food Prices," Journal of Food Distribution Research, Food Distribution Research Society, vol. 32(01), March.
- Masahisa Fujita & Paul Krugman & Anthony J. Venables, 2001. "The Spatial Economy: Cities, Regions, and International Trade," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262561476, December.
- Lung-fei Lee, 2003. "Best Spatial Two-Stage Least Squares Estimators for a Spatial Autoregressive Model with Autoregressive Disturbances," Econometric Reviews, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 22(4), pages 307-335.
- Marius Brülhart, 1998. "Economic Geography, Industry Location and Trade: The Evidence," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 21(6), pages 775-801, 08.
- Krugman, Paul, 1980. "Scale Economies, Product Differentiation, and the Pattern of Trade," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 70(5), pages 950-59, December.
- Ingene, Charles A. & Yu, Eden S. H., 1981. "Determinants of retail sales in SMSAs," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 11(4), pages 529-547, November.
- Levy, David, 1985. "Specifying the Dynamics of Industry Concentration," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 34(1), pages 55-68, September.
- Bruce Marion, 1998. "Competition in Grocery Retailing: The Impact of a New Strategic Group on BLS Price Increases," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 13(4), pages 381-399, August.
- Michael J. Hicks & Kristy Wilburn, 2005. "The Locational Impact of Wal-Mart Entrance: A Panel Study of the Retail Trade Sector in West Virginia," Urban/Regional 0511011, EconWPA.
- Curry, B & George, K D, 1983. "Industrial Concentration: A Survey," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 31(3), pages 203-55, March.
- Krugman, Paul R, 1981. "Intraindustry Specialization and the Gains from Trade," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 89(5), pages 959-73, October.
- Riungu, Claris Karimi, 2011. "Effects of Supermarkets on Fresh Fruit and Vegetables Small-Scale Farmers in Central Kenya," Research Theses 134484, Collaborative Masters Program in Agricultural and Applied Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.