Determinants Of Investments In Non-Farm Assets By Farm Households
AbstractOff-farm investment decisions of farm households are analyzed. Farm-level data for a sample of Kansas farms observed from 1994 through 2000 are utilized. A system of censored dependent variables is estimated to investigate the factors that influence the composition of farm households' portfolios. The central question underlying the analysis is whether farm income variability influences off-farm investment decisions. Previous analyses on the determinants of non-farm investments have failed to consider the role of income variability. Our results indicate that higher farm income fluctuations increase the relevance of non-farm assets in the farm household portfolio, thus suggesting that these assets are used as farm risk management tools.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association) in its series 2004 Annual meeting, August 1-4, Denver, CO with number 20329.
Date of creation: 2004
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gustafson, Cole R. & Chama, Sydney L., 1992. "Financial Assets Held by North Dakota Farmers," Proceedings: Proceedings: 1992 Regional Committee NC-207, September 26-29, 1992, Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota 131242, Regional Research Committee NC-1014: Agricultural and Rural Finance Markets in Transition.
- J. Scott Shonkwiler & Steven T. Yen, 1999. "Two-Step Estimation of a Censored System of Equations," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 81(4), pages 972-982.
- Monke, James D., 1997. "Do Farmers Need Tax-Deferred Savings Accounts to Help Manage Income Risk?," Agricultural Information Bulletins 33737, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Chavas, Jean-Paul & Pope, Rulon, 1985. "Price uncertainty and competitive firm behavior: Testable hypotheses from expected utility maximization," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 37(3), pages 223-235, August.
- Hansen, Lars Peter & Singleton, Kenneth J, 1983. "Stochastic Consumption, Risk Aversion, and the Temporal Behavior of Asset Returns," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 91(2), pages 249-65, April.
- Ashok K. Mishra & Barry K. Goodwin, 1997. "Farm Income Variability and the Supply of Off-Farm Labor," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 79(3), pages 880-887.
- Kallas, Zein & Serra, Teresa & Gil, Jose Maria, 2009.
"Effects Of Policy Instruments On Farm Investments And Production Decisions In The Spanish Cop Sector,"
2009 Conference, August 16-22, 2009, Beijing, China
49971, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Zein Kallas & Teresa Serra & José M. Gil, 2012. "Effects of policy instruments on farm investments and production decisions in the Spanish COP sector," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 44(30), pages 3877-3886, October.
- Kallas, Zein & Gil, Jose Maria & Serra, Teresa, 2009. "Effects of policy instruments on farm investments and production decisions in the Spanish cop sector," 113th Seminar, September 3-6, 2009, Chania, Crete, Greece 58036, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- BROSIG, Stephan & GLAUBEN, Thomas & Herzfeld, Thomas & WANG, Xiaobing, 2009. "Persistence of full- and part-time farming in Southern China," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 360-371, June.
- Lien, Gudbrand D. & Kumbhakar, Subal C. & Hardaker, J. Brian, 2008. "Determinants Of Part-Time Farming And Its Effect On Farm Productivity And Efficiency," 107th Seminar, January 30-February 1, 2008, Sevilla, Spain 6701, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Thia Hennessy & Mark O’ Brien, 2007. "Is off-farm income driving on-farm investment?," Working Papers 0704, Rural Economy and Development Programme,Teagasc.
- Lagerkvist, Carl Johan & Larsen, Karin & Olson, Kent D., 2006. "Off-farm income and farm capital accumulation: a farm-level data analysis," 2006 Annual meeting, July 23-26, Long Beach, CA 21480, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Jin-Tao Zhan & Yan-Rui Wu & Xiao-Hui Zhang & Zhang-Yue Zhou, 2012. "Why do farmers quit from grain production in China? Causes and implications," China Agricultural Economic Review, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 4(3), pages 342-362, October.
- Andersson, Hans & Ramaswami, Bharat & Moss, Charles B. & Erickson, Kenneth W. & Hallahan, Charles B. & Nehring, Richard F., 2005. "Off-farm Income and Risky Investments: What Happens to Farm and Nonfarm Assets?," 2005 Annual meeting, July 24-27, Providence, RI 19480, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.