Effects of WIC Program Participation on Food Consumption and Diet Quality
AbstractThis paper examines the effect of WIC program Participation on food consumption and diet quality of U.S. children between 2 and 4 years of age. Diet quality is assessed using the Healthy Eating Index, U.S. Department of Agriculture's instrument for measuring overall diet quality incorporating ten recommended components of dietary guidelines. The study has found that WIC program participation has significant positive influence in improving diet quality as measured by HEI and several of its components. The analysis has also indicated that the WIC program has significant positive influence in reducing sugar consumption by children. This research and the results presented have potential significance for researchers, economists and policy makers focusing on the determinants of children's diets and the role of Federal food assistance and nutrition education programs.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association) in its series 2003 Annual meeting, July 27-30, Montreal, Canada with number 22226.
Date of creation: 2003
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org
More information through EDIRC
Food Consumption/Nutrition/Food Safety;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Strauss, J. & Thomas, D., 1995.
"Health, Nutrition and Economic development,"
95-23, RAND - Labor and Population Program.
- Variyam, Jayachandran N. & Blaylock, James & Smallwood, David & Basiotis, P. Peter, 1998. "USDA's Healthy Eating Index and Nutrition Information," Technical Bulletins 156811, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Parke E. Wilde & Paul E. McNamara & Christine K. Ranney, 1999. "The Effect of Income and Food Programs on Dietary Quality: A Seemingly Unrelated Regression Analysis with Error Components," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 81(4), pages 959-971.
- Variyam, Jayachandran N., 2001. "Wic Participation And The Nutrient Intake Of Preschoolers," 2001 Annual meeting, August 5-8, Chicago, IL 20623, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Variyam, Jayachandran N. & Blaylock, James R. & Smallwood, David M. & Basiotis, P. Peter, 1998. "USDA's Healthy Eating Index and Nutrition Information," Technical Bulletins 33588, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.