Market Structure And Consumer Valuation In The Rbst-Free And Organic Milk Markets
AbstractThis study uses revealed preferences of consumers to study the consumer valuations of rBST-free and organic milk. The study specifies and estimates a quadratic AIDS model for different milk types using US supermarket scanner data. The introduction of rBST-free and organic milk is used to estimate both competitive and variety effects as measures of consumer valuations. Results show significant consumer valuations for organic milk and to a lesser extent rBST-free milk.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association) in its series 2003 Annual meeting, July 27-30, Montreal, Canada with number 22177.
Date of creation: 2003
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org
More information through EDIRC
Consumer/Household Economics; Industrial Organization;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hausman, Jerry A & Leonard, Gregory K, 2002. "The Competitive Effects of a New Product Introduction: A Case Study," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 50(3), pages 237-63, September.
- Deaton, Angus S & Muellbauer, John, 1980. "An Almost Ideal Demand System," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 70(3), pages 312-26, June.
- Mario F. Teisl & Nancy E. Bockstael & Alan Levy, 2001. "Measuring the Welfare Effects of Nutrition Information," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 83(1), pages 133-149.
- Hausman, Jerry A, 1981. "Exact Consumer's Surplus and Deadweight Loss," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 71(4), pages 662-76, September.
- Huffman, Wallace E. & Rousu, M.C. & Shogren, Jason F. & Tegene, Abebayehu, 2004.
"Consumers' Resistance to Genetically Modified Foods: The Role of Information in an Uncertain Environment,"
Staff General Research Papers
12339, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Huffman Wallace E. & Rousu Matthew & Shogren Jason F & Tegene Abebayehu, 2004. "Consumer's Resistance to Genetically Modified Foods: The Role of Information in an Uncertain Environment," Journal of Agricultural & Food Industrial Organization, De Gruyter, vol. 2(2), pages 1-15, May.
- Cotterill, Ronald W & Putsis, William P, Jr & Dhar, Ravi, 2000. "Assessing the Competitive Interaction between Private Labels and National Brands," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 73(1), pages 109-37, January.
- Tirtha Pratim Dhar & Jean-Paul Chavas & Brian W. Gould, 2002.
"An Empirical Assessment of Endogeneity Issues In Demand Analysis for Differentiated Products,"
Food Marketing Policy Center Research Reports
066, University of Connecticut, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Charles J. Zwick Center for Food and Resource Policy.
- Dhar, Tirtha Pratim & Chavas, Jean-Paul & Gould, Brian W., 2002. "An Empirical Assessment of Endogeneity Issues In Demand Analysis for Differentiated Products," Research Reports 25227, University of Connecticut, Food Marketing Policy Center.
- Richard Blundell & Jean-Marc Robin, 2000.
"Latent Separability: Grouping Goods without Weak Separability,"
Econometric Society, vol. 68(1), pages 53-84, January.
- Richard Blundell & Robin, J M, 1995. "Latent separability: grouping goods without weak separability," IFS Working Papers W95/09, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Kadiyali, Vrinda & Vilcassim, Naufel J & Chintagunta, Pradeep K, 1996. "Empirical Analysis of Competitive Product Line Pricing Decisions: Lead, Follow, or Move Together?," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 69(4), pages 459-87, October.
- Cotterill, Ronald W. & Franklin, Andrew W. & Ma, Li Yu, 1996. "Measuring Market Power Effects in Differentiated Product Industries: An Application to the Soft Drink Industry," Research Reports 25229, University of Connecticut, Food Marketing Policy Center.
- Bernard, Daria J. & Mathios, Alan D., 2005. "Factors Affecting Consumer Choice and Willingness to Pay for Milk Attributes," 2005 Annual meeting, July 24-27, Providence, RI 19366, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Gillespie, Jeffrey M. & Nehring, Richard F. & Hallahan, Charles B. & Morrison Paul, Catherine J. & Sandretto, Carmen L., 2008. "Economics and Productivity of Organic versus Non-organic Dairy Farms in the United States," 2008 International Congress, August 26-29, 2008, Ghent, Belgium 44415, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Kolodinsky, Jane, 2008. "Affect or information? Labeling policy and consumer valuation of rBST free and organic characteristics of milk," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(6), pages 616-623, December.
- Frank Bunte & Michiel Galen & W. Kuiper & Gemma Tacken, 2010. "Limits to Growth in Organic Sales," De Economist, Springer, vol. 158(4), pages 387-410, November.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.