Consumer Response To Country-Of-Origin Labeling Program In The Context Of Heterogenous Preferences
AbstractConsumer willingness to pay for a mandatory country-of-origin labeling program is assessed. A consumer survey was conducted during 2002 in several grocery stores in Boulder, Denver, and Fort Collins, Colorado. Econometric results indicate that surveyed consumers are willing to pay an average of $184 per household annually for a mandatory country-of-origin labeling program. Respondents were also willing to pay an average of $1.53 and $0.70 per pound more for steak and hamburger labeled as "U.S. Certified Steak" and "U.S. Certified Hamburger," which is equivalent to a 38% and 58%, respectively, over the initial given price.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association) in its series 2003 Annual meeting, July 27-30, Montreal, Canada with number 22129.
Date of creation: 2003
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org
More information through EDIRC
Consumer/Household Economics; Food Consumption/Nutrition/Food Safety;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Caswell, Julie A., 1998. "How Labeling Of Safety And Process Attributes Affects Markets For Food," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 27(2), October.
- Davidson, Russell & MacKinnon, James G., 1993. "Estimation and Inference in Econometrics," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780195060119.
- Schupp, Alvin R. & Gillespie, Jeffrey M., 2001. "Handler Reactions To Potential Compulsory Country-Of-Origin Labeling Of Fresh Or Frozen Beef," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 33(01), April.
- Maria Luz Loureiro & Jill J. McCluskey, 2000. "Assessing consumer response to protected geographical identification labeling," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 16(3), pages 309-320.
- Timothy Park & John B. Loomis & Michael Creel, 1991. "Confidence Intervals for Evaluating Benefits Estimates from Dichotomous Choice Contingent Valuation Studies," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 67(1), pages 64-73.
- Jayson L. Lusk & John A. Fox & Ted C. Schroeder & James Mintert & Mohammad Koohmaraie, 2001.
"In-Store Valuation of Steak Tenderness,"
American Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 83(3), pages 539-550.
- Justus Haucap & Christian Wey & Jens F. Barmbold, 1997. "Location Choice as a Signal for Product Quality: The Economics of 'Made in Germany'," Journal of Institutional and Theoretical Economics (JITE), Mohr Siebeck, Tübingen, vol. 153(3), pages 510-, September.
- Rivers, Douglas & Vuong, Quang H., 1988. "Limited information estimators and exogeneity tests for simultaneous probit models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 39(3), pages 347-366, November.
- Gary D. Thompson, 1998. "Consumer Demand for Organic Foods: What We Know and What We Need to Know," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 80(5), pages 1113-1118.
- P. Frykblom & Jason Shogren, 2000. "An Experimental Testing of Anchoring Effects in Discrete Choice Questions," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 16(3), pages 329-341, July.
- Schupp, Alvin R. & Gillespie, Jeffrey M., 2001. "Consumer Attitudes Toward Potential Country-Of-Origin Labeling Of Fresh Or Frozen Beef," Journal of Food Distribution Research, Food Distribution Research Society, vol. 32(03), November.
- Sterns, James A. & House, Lisa & VanSickle, John J. & Wysocki, Allen F., 2004.
"Cool And Consumers' Willingness To Pay In The Fresh Produce Industry - Some Initial Impressions From The Field,"
2004 Annual Meeting, February 14-18, 2004, Tulsa, Oklahoma
34780, Southern Agricultural Economics Association.
- Sterns, James A. & House, Lisa & VanSickle, John J. & Wysocki, Allen F., 2004. "COOL and Consumers' Willingness to Pay in the Fresh Produce Industry - Some Initial Impressions from the Field," Working Papers 15644, University of Florida, International Agricultural Trade and Policy Center.
- Henseleit, Meike & Kubitzki, Sabine & Teuber, Ramona, 2007. "Determinants of Consumer Preferences for Regional Food," 105th Seminar, March 8-10, 2007, Bologna, Italy 7871, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.