Hedging With Individual And Index-Based Contracts
AbstractWe examine the optimal hedging strategy with an individual insurance policy, sold at an unfair price, and a fair contract based on an index, which is imperfectly correlated with the individual loss. The tradeoff between transaction costs and basis risk is first analyzed in the expected utility framework in order to highlight the role of the agent's attitude toward risk, and then in the linear mean-variance model to stress the importance of the degree of correlation between the individual loss and the index.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association) in its series 2003 Annual meeting, July 27-30, Montreal, Canada with number 22007.
Date of creation: 2003
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Alarie, Y. & Eeckhoudt, L. & Dionne, G., 1990.
"Increases in Risk and the Demand for Insurance,"
Cahiers de recherche
9021, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Louis Eeckhoudt & Olivier Mahul & John Moran, 2003.
"Fixed-Reimbursement Insurance: Basic Properties and Comparative Statics,"
Journal of Risk & Insurance,
The American Risk and Insurance Association, vol. 70(2), pages 207-218.
- EECKHOUDT, Louis & MAHUL, Olivier & MORAN, John, . "Fixed-reimbursement insurance: basic properties and comparative statics," CORE Discussion Papers RP -1619, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Miles S. Kimball, 1989.
"Precautionary Saving in the Small and in the Large,"
NBER Working Papers
2848, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kimball, Miles S, 1990. "Precautionary Saving in the Small and in the Large," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 58(1), pages 53-73, January.
- Christian Gollier, 2004. "The Economics of Risk and Time," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262572249, January.
- Darren L. Frechette, 2000. "The Demand for Hedging and the Value of Hedging Opportunities," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 82(4), pages 897-907.
- Olivier Mahul, 1999. "Optimum Area Yield Crop Insurance," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 81(1), pages 75-82.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.