Modeling Agricultural Trade Liberalization. A Review
AbstractThe paper reviews the models used in the past 10 years or so to analyze the expected effects of liberalizing agricultural trade. The main aim of the paper it to provide the reader with an overview of models which have been used to assess, first, during the Uruguay Round, the implications of alternative hypothetical trade liberalization scenarios, then, the Agreement itself, and, more recently, the implications of further steps in liberalizing agricultural markets as a result of the on going WTO negotiations. The conclusion reached is that the efforts to model agricultural trade and trade policies, taken as a whole, are not fully satisfactory. Although several models offer accurate representations of international agricultural markets and trade policies, many others, including several developed and used by governments and relevant multilateral institutions, are structurally incapable of providing reliable answers to some of the policy questions they are asked to address. The final part of the paper identifies priorities for actions to be taken for improving modeling of trade policies and WTO commitments.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association) in its series 2001 Annual meeting, August 5-8, Chicago, IL with number 20758.
Date of creation: 2001
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Anderson, Kym & Tyers, Rod, 1992. "Effects of Gradual Food Policy Reforms in the 1990s," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 19(1), pages 1-24.
- Greenfield, Jim & de Nigris, Maurizio & Konandreas, Panos, 1996. "The Uruguay round agreement on agriculture: food security implications for developing countries," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 21(4-5), pages 365-375.
- Devadoss, Stephen & Kropf, Jurgen, 1996. "Impacts of trade liberalizations under the Uruguay round on the world sugar market," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 15(2), pages 83-96, November.
- Tyers, Rod, 1994. "Economic reform in Europe and the former Soviet Union: implications for international food markets," Research reports 99, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Francois, Joseph & McDonald, Brad & Nordström, Håkan, 1996. "A User's Guide to Uruguay Round Assessments," CEPR Discussion Papers 1410, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Meilke, Karl D. & McClatchy, Don & de Gorter, Harry, 1995.
"Challenges In Quantitative Economic Analysis In Support Of Multilateral Trade Negotiations,"
51215, International Agricultural Trade Research Consortium.
- Meilke, Karl D. & McClatchy, Don & Gorter, Harry de, 1996. "Challenges in quantitative economic analysis in support of multilateral trade negotiations," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 14(3), pages 185-200, August.
- S. Devadoss & Patrick C. Westhoff & Michael D. Helmar & Eric Grundmeier & Karl D. Skold & William H. Meyers & Stanley R. Johnson, 1989. "FAPRI Modeling System at CARD: A Documentation Summary, The," Food and Agricultural Policy Research Institute (FAPRI) Publications 89-tr13, Food and Agricultural Policy Research Institute (FAPRI) at Iowa State University.
- Herok, Claudia A. & Lotze, Hermann, 2000. "Implications of an EU Eastern Enlargement Under a New Common Agricultural Policy," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 22(6), pages 661-690, November.
- Hertel, Thomas W & Brockmeier, Martina & Swaminathan, Padma V, 1997. "Sectoral and Economy-Wide Analysis of Integrating Central and Eastern Europe Countries into the EU: Implications of Alternative Strategies," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 24(3-4), pages 359-86.
- S. Devadoss & Patrick C. Westhoff & Michael D. Helmar & Eric Grundmeier & Karl D. Skold & William H. Meyers & Stanley R. Johnson, 1989. "FAPRI Modeling System at CARD: A Documentation Summary, The," Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) Publications 89-tr13, Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) at Iowa State University.
- Leetmaa, Susan E. & Krissoff, Barry & Hartmann, Monika, 1996. "Trade Policy And Environmental Quality: The Case Of Export Subsidies," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 25(2), October.
- Frank H. Fuller & John C. Beghin & Samarendu Mohanty & Jacinto F. Fabiosa & Cheng Fang & Phillip Kaus, 1999.
"Impact of the Berlin Accord and European Enlargement on Dairy Markets, The,"
Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) Publications
99-wp231, Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) at Iowa State University.
- Fuller, Frank H. & Beghin, John C. & Mohanty, Samarendu & Fabiosa, Jacinto F. & Fang, Cheng & Kaus, Phillip J., 1999. "Impact of the Berlin Accord and European Enlargement on Dairy Markets, The," Staff General Research Papers 1696, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Frank H. Fuller & John C. Beghin & Samarendu Mohanty & Jacinto F. Fabiosa & Cheng Fang & Phillip Kaus, 1999. "Impact of the Berlin Accord and European Enlargement on Dairy Markets, The," Food and Agricultural Policy Research Institute (FAPRI) Publications 99-wp231, Food and Agricultural Policy Research Institute (FAPRI) at Iowa State University.
- Makki, Shiva S. & Tweeten, Luther & Gleckler, James, 1994. "Agricultural trade negotiations as a strategic game," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 10(1), pages 71-80, January.
- C. F. Bach & S. E. Frandsen & H. G. Jensen, 2000. "Agricultural and Economy-Wide Effects of European Enlargement: Modelling the Common Agricultural Policy," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 51(2), pages 162-180.
- Anderson, Kym & Dimaranan, Betina V. & Hertel, Thomas W. & Martin, William J., 1997.
"Asia-Pacific food markets and trade in 2005: a global, economy-wide perspective,"
Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics,
Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 41(1), March.
- Anderson, Kym & Dimaranan, Betina & Hertel, Thomas W & Martin, Will, 1996. "Asia-Pacific Food Markets and Trade in 2005: A Global, Economy-wide Perspective," CEPR Discussion Papers 1474, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- von Lampe, Martin, 1998. "The World Agricultural Trade Simulation System WATSIM: An Overview," Discussion Papers 18788, University of Bonn, Institute for Food and Resource Economics.
- Ames, Glenn C. W. & Gunter, Lewell & Davis, Claudia D., 1996. "Analysis of USA-European Community oilseeds agreements," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 15(2), pages 97-112, November.
- Bach, Christian Friis & Ken Pearson, 1996. "Implementing Quotas in GTAP Using GEMPACK or How to Linearize an Inequality," GTAP Technical Papers 307, Center for Global Trade Analysis, Department of Agricultural Economics, Purdue University.
- Anania, Giovanni, 1989. "Welfare implications of a preferential tariff reduction for agricultural exports from less developed countries vs. a generalized tariff reduction," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 3(1), pages 23-48, March.
- Swaminathan, Padma V. & Hertel, Thomas W. & Brockmeier, Martina, 1997. "European Union Enlargement: What Are The Agricultural Trade Models Missing?," 1997 Annual meeting, July 27-30, Toronto, Canada 21030, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Nguyen, Trien & Perroni, Carlo & Wigle, Randall, 1993. "An Evaluation of the Draft Final Act of the Uruguay Round," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 103(421), pages 1540-49, November.
- Anania, Giovanni, 2002.
"Gains from Trade Liberalization with Imperfectly Competitive World Markets. A Note,"
2002 International Congress, August 28-31, 2002, Zaragoza, Spain
24971, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Anania, Giovanni, 2003. "Gains from trade liberalization with imperfectly competitive world markets. A note," Economia Agraria y Recursos Naturales, Spanish Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 3(06).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.