Consumer Valuation Of Beef Ribeye Steak Attributes
AbstractA choice experiment (conjoint analysis) was used to investigate consumer demand for several beef ribeye steak attributes. Respondents indicated that they would prefer a "hormone free" ribeye steak priced up to $6.68/lb. more than a "non-hormone" free ribeye steak. Tenderness was also identified as an important attribute in the consumer purchasing decision as a one-unit increase in the tenderness of a steak (on a scale of one to 10) was associated with a $1.13/lb. premium. Steak marbling and whether the animal was fed genetically modified corn were of less importance to consumers.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association) in its series 2000 Annual meeting, July 30-August 2, Tampa, FL with number 21793.
Date of creation: 2000
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org
More information through EDIRC
Consumer/Household Economics; Food Consumption/Nutrition/Food Safety;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Adamowicz, Wiktor & Swait, Joffre & Boxall, Peter & Louviere, Jordan & Williams, Michael, 1997. "Perceptions versus Objective Measures of Environmental Quality in Combined Revealed and Stated Preference Models of Environmental Valuation," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 65-84, January.
- Adamowicz, Wiktor L. & Boxall, Peter C. & Williams, Michael & Louviere, Jordan, 1995. "Stated Preference Approaches for Measuring Passive Use Values: Choice Experiments versus Contingent Valuation," Staff Paper Series 24126, University of Alberta, Department of Resource Economics and Environmental Sociology.
- Adamowicz W. & Louviere J. & Williams M., 1994. "Combining Revealed and Stated Preference Methods for Valuing Environmental Amenities," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 26(3), pages 271-292, May.
- T.S. Jayne & Lawrence Rubey & Frank Lupi & David Tschirley & Michael T. Weber, 1996. "Estimating Consumer Response to Food Market Reform Using Stated Preference Data: Evidence from Eastern and Southern Africa," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 78(3), pages 820-824.
- Lawrence Rubey & Frank Lupi, 1997. "Predicting the Effects of Market Reform in Zimbabwe: A Stated Preference Approach," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 79(1), pages 89-99.
- R. B. Y. Kim & J. Unterschultz & M. Veeman & P. Jelen, 1997. "Analysis of the Korean beef market: A study of hotel buyers' perspectives of beef imports from three major sources," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 13(4), pages 445-455.
- Teratanavat, Ratapol P. & Hooker, Neal H., 2005. "Exploring Consumer Valuation and Preference Heterogeneity for Functional Foods Using a Choice Experiment: A Case Study of Tomato Juice Containing Soy in Ohio," 2005 Annual meeting, July 24-27, Providence, RI 19556, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Evans, Jason R. & D'Souza, Gerard E. & Collins, Alan R. & Brown, Cheryl & Sperow, Mark, 2011.
"Determining Consumer Perceptions of and Willingness to Pay for Appalachian Grass-Fed Beef: An Experimental Economics Approach,"
Agricultural and Resource Economics Review,
Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 40(2), August.
- Evans, Jason R. & Brown, Cheryl & Collins, Alan R. & D'Souza, Gerard E. & Rayburn, Edward B. & Sperow, Mark, 2008. "Determining Consumer Perceptions of and Willingness to Pay or Appalachian Grass-fed Beef: An Experimental Economics Approach," 2008 Annual Meeting, July 27-29, 2008, Orlando, Florida 6209, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Ventura-Lucas, Maria Raquel, 2004. "Consumer Perceptions and Attitudes Towards Food Safety in Portugal," 84th Seminar, February 8-11, 2004, Zeist, The Netherlands 24986, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Goss, Jody & Holcomb, Rodney B. & Ward, Clement E., 2002. "Factors Influencing Consumer Decisions Related To "Natural" Beef In The Southern Plains," Journal of Food Distribution Research, Food Distribution Research Society, vol. 33(01), March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.