Economics of Meat Production from the Springbuck in the Eastern Cape Karoo
AbstractThe feasibility of springbuck based meat production in the EC Karoo was analysed through a stochastic budgeting model, while overtly taking cost and price risk into consideration. Monte Carlo simulation of a springbuck based meat production enterprise was used to quantify the risks that would be faced by springbuck ranchers. Springbuck ranching has been proven a viable alternative in the production of highly nutritious and healthy meat (venison) that is on high demand in European markets and more recently with a promising and growing local demand as well. The results indicate that in the Eastern Cape Karoo, springbuck ranching for meat production is a viable business. As the call for more environmentally friendlier rangelands utilisation economic systems intensifies, rangelands owners in the EC Karoo have a practicable option. At the very least, an alternative to broaden their incomes with springbuck based meat production exists.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by African Association of Agricultural Economists (AAAE) & Agricultural Economics Association of South Africa (AEASA) in its series 2010 AAAE Third Conference/AEASA 48th Conference, September 19-23, 2010, Cape Town, South Africa with number 96181.
Date of creation: Sep 2010
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: c/o FORMAT, 5th Floor, Muthaiga Mini Market, Limuru Road, P.O. Box 79 - 00621 Village Market, Nairobi, Kenya
Phone: 254 20 6752866
Web page: http://www.aaae-africa.org
More information through EDIRC
Game ranching; Springbuck ranching; meat production; economic feasibility; Monte Carlo simulation; Livestock Production/Industries;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AGR-2011-08-15 (Agricultural Economics)
- NEP-ALL-2011-08-15 (All new papers)
- NEP-CMP-2011-08-15 (Computational Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Outlaw, Joe L. & Ribera, Luis A. & Richardson, James W. & da Silva, Jorge & Bryant, Henry L. & Klose, Steven L., 2007. "Economics of Sugar-Based Ethanol Production and Related Policy Issues," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 39(02), August.
- Perrings, Charles & Walker, Brian, 1997. "Biodiversity, resilience and the control of ecological-economic systems: the case of fire-driven rangelands," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 73-83, July.
- Grove, Bennie & Taljaard, Pieter R. & Cloete, Philip C., 2007. "A Stochastic Budgeting Analysis of Three Alternative Scenarios to Convert from Beef-Cattle Farming to Game Ranching," Agrekon, Agricultural Economics Association of South Africa (AEASA), vol. 46(4), December.
- Gill, Robert Chope, II & Richardson, James W. & Outlaw, Joe L. & Anderson, David P., 2003. "An Analysis Of Ethanol Production In Texas Using Three Ethanol Facility Sizes And Their Relative Optimal Subsidy Levels," 2003 Annual Meeting, February 1-5, 2003, Mobile, Alabama 35003, Southern Agricultural Economics Association.
- Richardson, James W. & Klose, Steven L. & Gray, Allan W., 2000. "An Applied Procedure For Estimating And Simulating Multivariate Empirical (Mve) Probability Distributions In Farm-Level Risk Assessment And Policy Analysis," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 32(02), August.
- Richardson, James W. & Mapp, Harry P., Jr., 1976. "Use Of Probabilistic Cash Flows In Analyzing Investments Under Conditions Of Risk And Uncertainty," Southern Journal of Agricultural Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 8(02), December.
- Richardson, James W. & Lemmer, Wessel J. & Outlaw, Joe L., 2007. "Bio-ethanol Production from Wheat in the Winter Rainfall Region of South Africa: A Quantitative Risk Analysis," International Food and Agribusiness Management Review, International Food and Agribusiness Management Association (IAMA), vol. 10(02).
- Richardson, James W. & Herbst, Brian K. & Outlaw, Joe L. & Gill, Robert Chope, II, 2007. "Including Risk in Economic Feasibility Analyses: The Case of Ethanol Production in Texas," Journal of Agribusiness, Agricultural Economics Association of Georgia, vol. 25(2).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.