Majority Rules and Coalition Stability
AbstractWe consider a class of symmetric games with externalities across coalitions and show that, under certain regularity conditions, restricting the deviating power to majority guarantees the existence of core-stable allocations. We also show that if majorities can extract resources from minorities, stability requires a supermajority rule, whose threshold is increasing in the extraction power.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Department of Computer, Control and Management Engineering, Universita' degli Studi di Roma "La Sapienza" in its series DIAG Technical Reports with number 2012-01.
Length: 7 pages
Date of creation: Jan 2012
Date of revision:
Majority Rule; Supermajority; Externalities; Core;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-12-10 (All new papers)
- NEP-CDM-2012-12-10 (Collective Decision-Making)
- NEP-GTH-2012-12-10 (Game Theory)
- NEP-MIC-2012-12-10 (Microeconomics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hafalir, Isa E., 2007. "Efficiency in coalition games with externalities," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 61(2), pages 242-258, November.
- Ray, Debraj, 2007. "A Game-Theoretic Perspective on Coalition Formation," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, Oxford University Press, number 9780199207954, October.
- Partha Dasgupta & Eric Maskin, 2008. "On The Robustness of Majority Rule," Journal of the European Economic Association, MIT Press, MIT Press, vol. 6(5), pages 949-973, 09.
- Yi, Sang-Seung, 1997. "Stable Coalition Structures with Externalities," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 201-237, August.
- Bloch, Francis, 1996. "Sequential Formation of Coalitions in Games with Externalities and Fixed Payoff Division," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 90-123, May.
- Sergio Currarini & Marco A. Marini, 2006.
"Coalition Formation In Games Without Synergies,"
International Game Theory Review (IGTR), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd.,
World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 8(01), pages 111-126.
- Ray, D. & Vohra, R., 1993.
"Equilibrium Binding Agreements,"
Papers, Boston University - Department of Economics
21, Boston University - Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Antonietta Angelica Zucconi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.