Working Paper 169 - Monetary Policy and Exchange Rate Shocks on South African Trade Balance
AbstractThis paper compares the effects of contractionary monetary policy and exchange rate appreciation shocks of one standard deviation in size, on the South Africa trade balance using recursive and sign-restriction vector autoregressive models. We find that an exchange rate appreciation shock lowers the trade balance as a percentage of the gross domestic product significantly, and over many quarters but not permanently relative to contractionary monetary policy shocks. These findings do not violate the neutrality of exchange rate effects in the long run economic growth. The contractionary monetary policy shocks affect the trade balance through the expenditure switching channel rather than the income channel. The real effective exchange rates explain relatively higher fluctuations in trade balance movements than monetary policy shocks. Both the exchange rate appreciation and monetary policy shocks worsen the trade balance through the imports rather than the exports component. Lastly, contractionary monetary policy worsens the trade balance at the peak in five quarters by more than 0.01 percentage points when allowed to directly affect the exchange rate relative to when its effect is left unrestricted.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by African Development Bank in its series Working Paper Series with number 448.
Date of creation: 19 Mar 2013
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 15 Avenue du Ghana P.O.Box 323-1002 Tunis-Belvedère, Tunisia
Phone: (+216) 71 10 39 00
Fax: (225) 21.77.53
Web page: http://www.afdb.org/en/knowledge/publications/
More information through EDIRC
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AFR-2013-03-30 (Africa)
- NEP-ALL-2013-03-30 (All new papers)
- NEP-MON-2013-03-30 (Monetary Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lee,J. & Chinn,M.D., 2004.
"Current account and real exchange rate dynamics in the G-7 countries,"
11, Wisconsin Madison - Social Systems.
- Lee, Jaewoo & Chinn, Menzie D., 2006. "Current account and real exchange rate dynamics in the G7 countries," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 25(2), pages 257-274, March.
- Menzie David Chinn & Jaewoo Lee, 2002. "Current Account and Real Exchange Rate Dynamics in the G-7 Countries," IMF Working Papers 02/130, International Monetary Fund.
- Eswar S. Prasad & Jeffery A. Gable, 1998.
"International Evidence on the Determinants of Trade Dynamics,"
IMF Staff Papers,
Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 45(3), pages 401-439, September.
- Eswar Prasad & Jeffery A. Gable, 1997. "International Evidence on the Determinants of Trade Dynamics," IMF Working Papers 97/172, International Monetary Fund.
- Rafiq, M.S. & Mallick, S.K., 2008. "The effect of monetary policy on output in EMU3: A sign restriction approach," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 30(4), pages 1756-1791, December.
- Busch, Ulrike & Scharnagl, Michael & Scheithauer, Jan, 2010. "Loan supply in Germany during the financial crisis," Discussion Paper Series 1: Economic Studies 2010,05, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Lane, P, 1999.
"The New Open Economy Macroeconomics: A Survey,"
Trinity Economics Papers
993, Trinity College Dublin, Department of Economics.
- Fabio Canova & Joaquim Pires Pina, 1998.
"Monetary policy misspecification in VAR models,"
Economics Working Papers
420, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, revised Sep 1999.
- Bjørnland, Hilde C. & Leitemo, Kai, 2005.
"Identifying the Interdependence between US Monetary Policy and the Stock Market,"
12/2005, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- Bjørnland, Hilde C. & Leitemo, Kai, 2009. "Identifying the interdependence between US monetary policy and the stock market," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 56(2), pages 275-282, March.
- Hilde C. Bjørnland & Kai Leitemo, 2008. "Identifying the interdependence between US monetary policy and the stock market," Working Paper 2008/04, Norges Bank.
- Bjørnland , Hilde & Leitemo, Kai, 2005. "Identifying the interdependence between US monetary policy and the stock market," Research Discussion Papers 17/2005, Bank of Finland.
- Rigobon, Roberto & Sack, Brian, 2004.
"The impact of monetary policy on asset prices,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 51(8), pages 1553-1575, November.
- Roberto Rigobon & Brian P. Sack, 2002. "The Impact of Monetary Policy on Asset Prices," NBER Working Papers 8794, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Roberto Rigobon & Brian Sack, 2002. "The impact of monetary policy on asset prices," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2002-4, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Martha Banbura & Domenico Giannone & Lucrezia Reichlin, 2008.
"Large Bayesian VARs,"
Working Papers ECARES
2008_033, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Marta Bańbura, 2008. "Large Bayesian VARs," 2008 Meeting Papers 334, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Banbura, Marta & Giannone, Domenico & Reichlin, Lucrezia, 2007. "Bayesian VARs with Large Panels," CEPR Discussion Papers 6326, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Domenico Giannone & Martha Banbura & Lucrezia Reichlin, 2008. "Bayesian VARs with large panels," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/13388, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Bańbura, Marta & Giannone, Domenico & Reichlin, Lucrezia, 2008. "Large Bayesian VARs," Working Paper Series 0966, European Central Bank.
- Brett W. Fawley & Luciana Juvenal, 2010. "Monetary policy and asset prices," Economic Synopses, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Koray, Faik & McMillin, W. Douglas, 1999. "Monetary shocks, the exchange rate, and the trade balance," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 18(6), pages 925-940, December.
- Fabio Canova & Gianni De Nicolo, 2000.
"Monetary disturbances matter for business fluctuations in the G-7,"
International Finance Discussion Papers
660, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Canova, Fabio & Nicolo, Gianni De, 2002. "Monetary disturbances matter for business fluctuations in the G-7," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 49(6), pages 1131-1159, September.
- Renee Fry & Adrian Pagan, 2007. "Some Issues in Using Sign Restrictions for Identifying Structural VARs," NCER Working Paper Series 14, National Centre for Econometric Research.
- Fabio Canova & Gianni de Nicoló, 1999.
"On the sources of business cycles in the G-7,"
Economics Working Papers
459, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, revised Mar 2000.
- Giorgio Di Giorgio & Salvatore Nistico, 2007. "Monetary Policy and Stock Prices in an Open Economy," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 39(8), pages 1947-1985, December.
- Fratzscher, Marcel & Straub, Roland, 2009.
"Asset prices and current account fluctuations in G7 economies,"
Working Paper Series
1014, European Central Bank.
- Marcel Fratzscher & Roland Straub, 2009. "Asset Prices and Current Account Fluctuations in G-7 Economies," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 56(3), pages 633-654, August.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Adeleke Oluwole Salami).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.