Nonparametric Density Estimation for Stratified Samples
AbstractIn this paper, we consider the non-parametric, kernel estimate of the density, f(x), for data drawn from stratified samples. Much of the data used by social scientists is gathered in some type of complex survey violating the usual assumptions of independently and identically distributed data. Such effects induced by the survey structure are rarely considered in the literature on non-parametric density estimation, yet they may have serious consequences for our analysis, as shown in this paper. A weighted estimator is developed which provides asymptotically unbiased density estimation for stratified samples. A data-based method for choosing the optimal bandwidth is suggested, using information on withinstratum variances and means. The weighted estimator and proposed bandwidth are shown to give smaller mean squared error for stratified samples than an un-weighted estimator and a commonly used method of choosing the bandwidth. Surprisingly, the single bandwidth outperforms optimally choosing stratum-specific bandwidths in some cases. Several illustrations from simulation are provided. We also show that the optimal sampling scheme in this case is always stratified sampling proportional to size, irrespective of the stratum-specific densities
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Australian National University, College of Business and Economics, School of Economics in its series ANU Working Papers in Economics and Econometrics with number 2005-459.
Length: 42 pages
Date of creation: Feb 2001
Date of revision: Nov 2005
Other versions of this item:
- Breunig, Robert, 2008. "Nonparametric density estimation for stratified samples," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 78(14), pages 2194-2200, October.
- C14 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Semiparametric and Nonparametric Methods: General
- C42 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods: Special Topics - - - Survey Methods
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pagan,Adrian & Ullah,Aman, 1999.
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521586115.
- Robert Breunig, 2001. "Density Estimation For Clustered Data," Econometric Reviews, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 20(3), pages 353-367.
- Daniel J. Henderson & Christopher F. Parmeter & R. Robert Russell, 2008. "Modes, weighted modes, and calibrated modes: evidence of clustering using modality tests," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 23(5), pages 607-638.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.