Diversification and Human Capital as Antecedents of Internationalization amongst Professional Service Firms: A Study of UK Based Engineering Consultants
AbstractThis paper studies the antecedents of internationalization amongst professional service firms (PSFs). Using a unique panel of UK-based engineering consultancies over the 1994-2009 period, we show that more specialized PSFs are more likely to internationalize than firms with a broader scope of activities, and that domestic geographical diversification as well as diversification into more unrelated fields enhances the international competitiveness of PSFs. Specific human capital also fosters internationalization, and moreover, significantly intensifies the advantages of various forms of diversification. Business size, age, foreign ownership and management buy-outs also exert positive and significant effects. The findings contribute to the literature on services internationalization and provide novel insights for the management of firms’ geographical and industrial diversification.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by DRUID, Copenhagen Business School, Department of Industrial Economics and Strategy/Aalborg University, Department of Business Studies in its series DRUID Working Papers with number 11-15.
Date of creation: 2011
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.druid.dk/
Internationalization ; diversificatin strategies ; human capital ; knowledge-intensive business services ; professional service firms (PSFs);
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F23 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business - - - Multinational Firms; International Business
- L25 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - Firm Performance
- L84 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Services - - - Personal, Professional, and Business Services
- M16 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - Business Administration - - - International Business Administration
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Wolf, Bernard M, 1977. "Industrial Diversification and Internationalization: Some Empirical Evidence," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 26(2), pages 177-91, December.
- Papke, Leslie E. & Wooldridge, Jeffrey M., 2008. "Panel data methods for fractional response variables with an application to test pass rates," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 145(1-2), pages 121-133, July.
- Jensen, M.C. & Murphy, K.J., 1988.
"Performance Pay And Top Management Incentives,"
88-04, Rochester, Business - Managerial Economics Research Center.
- Michael D Lord & Annette L Ranft, 2000. "Organizational Learning About New International Markets: Exploring the Internal Transfer of Local Market Knowledge," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 31(4), pages 573-589, December.
- Teece, David J. & Rumelt, Richard & Dosi, Giovanni & Winter, Sidney, 1994. "Understanding corporate coherence : Theory and evidence," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 1-30, January.
- Alfred D. Chandler, 1969. "Strategy and Structure: Chapters in the History of the American Industrial Enterprise," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262530090, June.
- David J. Teece, 2003. "Expert talent and the design of (professional services) firms," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 12(4), pages 895-916, August.
- Frank Neffke & Martin Svensson Henning, 2008.
"Revealed Relatedness: Mapping Industry Space,"
DRUID Working Papers
08-18, DRUID, Copenhagen Business School, Department of Industrial Economics and Strategy/Aalborg University, Department of Business Studies.
- Bengtsson, Lars, 2000. "Corporate strategy in a small open economy: reducing product diversification while increasing international diversification," European Management Journal, Elsevier, vol. 18(4), pages 444-453, August.
- Leslie E. Papke & Jeffrey M. Wooldridge, 1993.
"Econometric Methods for Fractional Response Variables with an Application to 401(k) Plan Participation Rates,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0147, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Papke, Leslie E & Wooldridge, Jeffrey M, 1996. "Econometric Methods for Fractional Response Variables with an Application to 401(K) Plan Participation Rates," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 11(6), pages 619-32, Nov.-Dec..
- Anupama Phene & Paul Almeida, 2008. "Innovation in multinational subsidiaries: The role of knowledge assimilation and subsidiary capabilities," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 39(5), pages 901-919, July.
- Metcalfe, J.S. & James, Andrew & Mina, Andrea, 2005. "Emergent innovation systems and the delivery of clinical services: The case of intra-ocular lenses," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(9), pages 1283-1304, November.
- Cynthia A. Montgomery & Birger Wernerfelt, 1988. "Diversification, Ricardian Rents, and Tobin's q," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 19(4), pages 623-632, Winter.
- Cantwell, John, 1995. "The Globalisation of Technology: What Remains of the Product Cycle Model?," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 19(1), pages 155-74, February.
- Miozzo, Marcela & Soete, Luc, 2001. "Internationalization of services: a technological perspective," Open Access publications from Maastricht University urn:nbn:nl:ui:27-6255, Maastricht University.
- Greenhalgh, Christine, 1990. "Innovation and Trade Performance in the United Kingdom," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 100(400), pages 105-18, Supplemen.
- Keith D. Brouthers & Lance Eliot Brouthers, 2003. "Why Service and Manufacturing Entry Mode Choices Differ: The Influence of Transaction Cost Factors, Risk and Trust," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 40(5), pages 1179-1204, 07.
- Gabrielsson, P. & Gabrielsson, M., 2004. "Globalizing internationals: business portfolio and marketing strategies in the ICT field," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 13(6), pages 661-684, December.
- David J. Bryce & Sidney G. Winter, 2009.
"A General Interindustry Relatedness Index,"
INFORMS, vol. 55(9), pages 1570-1585, September.
- Jan Johanson & Jan-Erik Vahlne, 2009. "The Uppsala internationalization process model revisited: From liability of foreignness to liability of outsidership," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 40(9), pages 1411-1431, December.
- Tether, Bruce S. & Tajar, Abdelouahid, 2008. "Beyond industry-university links: Sourcing knowledge for innovation from consultants, private research organisations and the public science-base," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(6-7), pages 1079-1095, July.
- J J Boddewyn & Marsha Baldwin Halbrich & A C Perry, 1986. "Service Multinationals: Conceptualization, Measurement and Theory," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 17(3), pages 41-57, September.
- Cantwell, John & Piscitello, Lucia, 2000. "Accumulating Technological Competence: Its Changing Impact on Corporate Diversification and Internationalization," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 9(1), pages 21-51, March.
- Aoife Hanley, 2009. "Overseas Links as Export Conduits," Kiel Working Papers 1483, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Gongming Qian & Lee Li & Ji Li & Zhengming Qian, 2008. "Regional diversification and firm performance," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 39(2), pages 197-214, March.
- Rialp, Alex & Rialp, Josep & Knight, Gary A., 2005. "The phenomenon of early internationalizing firms: what do we know after a decade (1993-2003) of scientific inquiry?," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 14(2), pages 147-166, April.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Keld Laursen).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.