Beyond Technological Diversification: The Impact of Employee Diversity on Innovation
AbstractThis paper investigates the effect of employee diversity in terms of gender, age, ethnicity and education on the firm’s likelihood of introducing an innovation. The analysis draws on data from a recent innovation survey. This data is merged with a linked employer-employee dataset that allow us to identify the employee composition of each firm. We test the hypothesis that employee diversity is associated with better innovative performance. The econometric analysis reveals positive, negative and non-significant effects of the different employee characteristics on the likelihood of introducing an innovation.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by DRUID, Copenhagen Business School, Department of Industrial Economics and Strategy/Aalborg University, Department of Business Studies in its series DRUID Working Papers with number 09-03.
Date of creation: 2009
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.druid.dk/
Diversity; Innovation; Education; Gender; Cultural Backgrund;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- A - General Economics and Teaching
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2009-10-10 (All new papers)
- NEP-BEC-2009-10-10 (Business Economics)
- NEP-HRM-2009-10-10 (Human Capital & Human Resource Management)
- NEP-INO-2009-10-10 (Innovation)
- NEP-KNM-2009-10-10 (Knowledge Management & Knowledge Economy)
- NEP-SBM-2009-10-10 (Small Business Management)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Parrotta, Pierpaolo & Pozzoli, Dario & Pytlikova, Mariola, 2012.
"The Nexus between Labor Diversity and Firm's Innovation,"
IZA Discussion Papers
6972, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Pierpaolo Parrotta & Dario Pozzoli & Mariola Pytlikova, 2014. "The nexus between labor diversity and firm’s innovation," Journal of Population Economics, Springer, vol. 27(2), pages 303-364, April.
- Pierpaolo Parrotta & Dario Pozzoli & Mariola Pytlikova, 2011. "The Nexus between Labor Diversity and Firm's Innovation," Norface Discussion Paper Series 2011005, Norface Research Programme on Migration, Department of Economics, University College London.
- Parrotta, Pierpaolo & Pozzoli, Dario & Pytlikova, Mariola, 2010. "The Nexus between Labor Diversity and Firm´s Innovation," Working Papers 10-15, University of Aarhus, Aarhus School of Business, Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Keld Laursen).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.