Innovation Clusters in Technological Systems: A Network Analysis of 15 OECD Countries for the Middle '90s
AbstractThe paper aims at investigating how innovations cluster in different technological systems (TSs) when their “techno-economic", rather than “territorial" space is considered. Innovation clusters of economic sectors are identified by applying network analysis to the intersectoral R&D flows matrices of 15 OECD countries in the middle '90s. Different clusterization models are first tested in order to detect the way sectors group on the basis of the embodied R&D flows they exchange. Actual clusters are then mapped in the different TSs by looking for intersectoral relationships which can be qualified to constitute “reduced-TSs" (ReTSs). In all the 15 TSs investigated the technoeconomic space appears organized in hierarchies, along which its constitutive sectors group into clusters with different density and composition. Once ReTSs are looked for, the 15 TSs display highly heterogeneous structures, but with some interesting similarity on the basis of which different clusters of TSs can be identified in turn.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by DRUID, Copenhagen Business School, Department of Industrial Economics and Strategy/Aalborg University, Department of Business Studies in its series DRUID Working Papers with number 07-15.
Date of creation: 2007
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.druid.dk/
Innovation clusters; technological systems; R&D expenditure; embodied innovation flows;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- O33 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - Technological Change: Choices and Consequences; Diffusion Processes
- O38 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - Government Policy
- O39 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - Other
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2007-10-13 (All new papers)
- NEP-CSE-2007-10-13 (Economics of Strategic Management)
- NEP-INO-2007-10-13 (Innovation)
- NEP-NET-2007-10-13 (Network Economics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- S. Montresor & Vittucci & G. Marzetti, 2008. "Constructing intersectoral innovation diffusion networks with input-output: how to get relative flows? An illustrative application to six OECD technological systems for the middle '90s," Working Papers 649, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Keld Laursen).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.