Bootstrap Determination of the Co-integration Rank in Heteroskedastic VAR Models
AbstractIn a recent paper Cavaliere et al. (2012) develop bootstrap implementations of the (pseudo-) likelihood ratio [PLR] co-integration rank test and associated sequential rank determination procedure of Johansen (1996). The bootstrap samples are constructed using the restricted parameter estimates of the underlying VAR model which obtain under the reduced rank null hypothesis. They propose methods based on an i.i.d. bootstrap re-sampling scheme and establish the validity of their proposed bootstrap procedures in the context of a co-integrated VAR model with i.i.d. innovations. In this paper we investigate the properties of their bootstrap procedures, together with analogous procedures based on a wild bootstrap re-sampling scheme, when time-varying behaviour is present in either the conditional or unconditional variance of the innovations. We show that the bootstrap PLR tests are asymptotically correctly sized and, moreover, that the probability that the associated bootstrap sequential procedures select a rank smaller than the true rank converges to zero. This result is shown to hold for both the i.i.d. and wild bootstrap variants under conditional heteroskedasticity but only for the latter under unconditional heteroskedasticity. Monte Carlo evidence is reported which suggests that the bootstrap approach of Cavaliere et al. (2012) signi?cantly improves upon the ?nite sample performance of corresponding procedures based on either the asymptotic PLR test or an alternative bootstrap method (where the short run dynamics in the VAR model are estimated unrestrictedly) for a variety of conditionally and unconditionally heteroskedastic innovation processes.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus in its series CREATES Research Papers with number 2012-36.
Date of creation: 31 Aug 2012
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.econ.au.dk/afn/
Bootstrap; Co-integration; Trace statistic; Rank determination; heteroskedasticity.;
Other versions of this item:
- Giuseppe Cavaliere & Anders Rahbek & A.M.Robert Taylor, 2012. "Bootstrap Determination of the Co-integration Rank in Heteroskedastic VAR Models," Discussion Papers 12-11, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics.
- C30 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - General
- C32 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models; Diffusion Processes
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-09-09 (All new papers)
- NEP-ECM-2012-09-09 (Econometrics)
- NEP-ETS-2012-09-09 (Econometric Time Series)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Cavaliere, Giuseppe & Taylor, A. M. Robert & Trenkler, Carsten, 2013. "Bootstrap Co-integration Rank Testing: The Effect of Bias-Correcting Parameter Estimates," Working Papers 32993, University of Mannheim, Department of Economics.
- Phillips, Peter C.B. & Magdalinos, Tassos, 2013.
"Inconsistent Var Regression With Common Explosive Roots,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 29(04), pages 808-837, August.
- Peter C.B. Phillips & Tassos Magdalinos, 2011. "Inconsistent VAR Regression with Common Explosive Roots," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1777, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.