Nonparametric Detection and Estimation of Structural Change
AbstractWe propose a nonparametric approach to the estimation and testing of structural change in time series regression models. Under the null of a given set of the coefficients being constant, we develop estimators of both the nonparametric and parametric components. Given the estimators under null and alternative, generalized F and Wald tests are developed. The asymptotic distributions of the estimators and test statistics are derived. A simulation study examines the fi?nite-sample performance of the estimators and tests. The techniques are employed in the analysis of structural change in US productivity and the Eurodollar term structure.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus in its series CREATES Research Papers with number 2011-13.
Date of creation: 18 Apr 2011
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.econ.au.dk/afn/
structural change; regression; nonparametric; estimation; testing; generalized likelihood ratio; time-varying; locally stationary.;
Other versions of this item:
- Dennis Kristensen, 2012. "Non‐parametric detection and estimation of structural change," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 15(3), pages 420-461, October.
- C12 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Hypothesis Testing: General
- C13 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Estimation: General
- C14 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Semiparametric and Nonparametric Methods: General
- C22 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models &bull Diffusion Processes
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bai, Jushan, 1999. "Likelihood ratio tests for multiple structural changes," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 91(2), pages 299-323, August.
- Dennis Kristensen & Andrew Ang, 2009.
"Testing Conditional Factor Models,"
CREATES Research Papers
2009-09, School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.