A No Arbitrage Fractional Cointegration Analysis Of The Range Based Volatility
AbstractThe no arbitrage relation between futures and spot prices implies an analogous relation between futures and spot volatilities as measured by daily range. Long memory features of the range-based volatility estimators of the two series are analyzed, and their joint dynamics are modeled via a fractional vector error correction model (FVECM), in order to explicitly consider the no arbitrage constraints. We introduce a two-step estimation procedure for the FVECM parameters and we show the properties by a Monte Carlo simulation. The out-of-sample forecasting superiority of FVECM, with respect to competing models, is documented. The results highlight the importance of giving fully account of long-run equilibria in volatilities in order to obtain better forecasts.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus in its series CREATES Research Papers with number 2009-31.
Date of creation: 15 Jul 2009
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.econ.au.dk/afn/
Range-based volatility estimator; Long memory; Fractional cointegration; Fractional VECM; Stock Index Futures;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C32 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models; Diffusion Processes
- C13 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Estimation: General
- G13 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Contingent Pricing; Futures Pricing
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2009-08-16 (All new papers)
- NEP-ECM-2009-08-16 (Econometrics)
- NEP-FOR-2009-08-16 (Forecasting)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Torben G. Andersen & Tim Bollerslev & Francis X. Diebold & Paul Labys, 2003.
"Modeling and Forecasting Realized Volatility,"
Econometric Society, vol. 71(2), pages 579-625, March.
- Torben G. Andersen & Tim Bollerslev & Francis X. Diebold & Paul Labys, 2001. "Modeling and Forecasting Realized Volatility," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 01-01, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Torben G. Andersen & Tim Bollerslev & Francis X. Diebold & Paul Labys, 2001. "Modeling and Forecasting Realized Volatility," NBER Working Papers 8160, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Anderson, Torben G. & Bollerslev, Tim & Diebold, Francis X. & Labys, Paul, 2002. "Modeling and Forecasting Realized Volatility," Working Papers 02-12, Duke University, Department of Economics.
- Joerg Breitung and Uwe Hassler, 2001.
"Inference on the Cointegration Rank in Fractionally Integrated Processes,"
Computing in Economics and Finance 2001
233, Society for Computational Economics.
- Breitung, Jorg & Hassler, Uwe, 2002. "Inference on the cointegration rank in fractionally integrated processes," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 110(2), pages 167-185, October.
- Breitung, Jörg & Hassler, Uwe, 2000. "Inference on the cointegration rank in fractionally integrated processes," SFB 373 Discussion Papers 2000,65, Humboldt University of Berlin, Interdisciplinary Research Project 373: Quantification and Simulation of Economic Processes.
- Cheung, Yin-Wong & Lai, Kon S, 1993. "A Fractional Cointegration Analysis of Purchasing Power Parity," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 11(1), pages 103-12, January.
- Michael Dueker & Richard Startz, 1998. "Maximum-Likelihood Estimation Of Fractional Cointegration With An Application To U.S. And Canadian Bond Rates," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 80(3), pages 420-426, August.
- Johansen, Soren, 1988. "Statistical analysis of cointegration vectors," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 12(2-3), pages 231-254.
- Parkinson, Michael, 1980. "The Extreme Value Method for Estimating the Variance of the Rate of Return," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 53(1), pages 61-65, January.
- Granger, Clive W J, 1986. "Developments in the Study of Cointegrated Economic Variables," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 48(3), pages 213-28, August.
- Diebold, Francis X & Mariano, Roberto S, 1995.
"Comparing Predictive Accuracy,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 13(3), pages 253-63, July.
- Tom Doan, . "DMARIANO: RATS procedure to compute Diebold-Mariano Forecast Comparison Test," Statistical Software Components RTS00055, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Francis X. Diebold & Robert S. Mariano, 1994. "Comparing Predictive Accuracy," NBER Technical Working Papers 0169, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Johansen, Soren, 1995. "Likelihood-Based Inference in Cointegrated Vector Autoregressive Models," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198774501.
- Sowell, Fallaw, 1992. "Maximum likelihood estimation of stationary univariate fractionally integrated time series models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 53(1-3), pages 165-188.
- Johansen, SØren, 2008. "A Representation Theory For A Class Of Vector Autoregressive Models For Fractional Processes," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 24(03), pages 651-676, June.
- Katarzyna Lasak, 2008. "Maximum likelihood estimation of fractionally cointegrated systems," CREATES Research Papers 2008-53, School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus.
- Fulvio Corsi, 2009. "A Simple Approximate Long-Memory Model of Realized Volatility," Journal of Financial Econometrics, Society for Financial Econometrics, vol. 7(2), pages 174-196, Spring.
- Nielsen, Morten Orregaard & Shimotsu, Katsumi, 2007.
"Determining the cointegrating rank in nonstationary fractional systems by the exact local Whittle approach,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 141(2), pages 574-596, December.
- Katsumi Shimotsu & Morten Ørregaard Nielsen, 2006. "Determining the Cointegrating Rank in Nonstationary Fractional Systems by the Exact Local Whittle Approach," Working Papers 1029, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Davidson, James, 2002. "A model of fractional cointegration, and tests for cointegration using the bootstrap," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 110(2), pages 187-212, October.
- Christensen, Kim & Podolskij, Mark, 2007. "Realized range-based estimation of integrated variance," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 141(2), pages 323-349, December.
- BAI, Jushan & PERRON, Pierre, 1998.
"Computation and Analysis of Multiple Structural-Change Models,"
Cahiers de recherche
9807, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Jushan Bai & Pierre Perron, 2003. "Computation and analysis of multiple structural change models," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 18(1), pages 1-22.
- Bent Jesper Christensen & Morten Ø. Nielsen, . "Semiparametric Analysis of Stationary Fractional Cointegration and the Implied-Realized Volatility Relation in High-Frequency Options Data," Economics Working Papers 2001-4, School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus.
- Davidson James E. H. & Peel David A & Byers J. David, 2006. "Support for Governments and Leaders: Fractional Cointegration Analysis of Poll Evidence from the UK, 1960-2004," Studies in Nonlinear Dynamics & Econometrics, De Gruyter, vol. 10(1), pages 1-23, March.
- Johansen, Soren, 1991. "Estimation and Hypothesis Testing of Cointegration Vectors in Gaussian Vector Autoregressive Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(6), pages 1551-80, November.
- Robinson, Peter M. & Yajima, Yoshihiro, 2002.
"Determination of cointegrating rank in fractional systems,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 106(2), pages 217-241, February.
- Peter M Robinson & Yoshihiro Yajima, 2001. "Determination of Cointegrating Rank in Fractional Systems," STICERD - Econometrics Paper Series /2001/423, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- Brandt, Michael W. & Jones, Christopher S., 2006. "Volatility Forecasting With Range-Based EGARCH Models," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 24, pages 470-486, October.
- Garman, Mark B & Klass, Michael J, 1980. "On the Estimation of Security Price Volatilities from Historical Data," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 53(1), pages 67-78, January.
- Fulvio Corsi & Stefan Mittnik & Christian Pigorsch & Uta Pigorsch, 2008.
"The Volatility of Realized Volatility,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 27(1-3), pages 46-78.
- Andersen, Torben G & Bollerslev, Tim, 1998. "Answering the Skeptics: Yes, Standard Volatility Models Do Provide Accurate Forecasts," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 39(4), pages 885-905, November.
- Cox, Charles C, 1976. "Futures Trading and Market Information," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 84(6), pages 1215-37, December.
- Engle, Robert F & Granger, Clive W J, 1987. "Co-integration and Error Correction: Representation, Estimation, and Testing," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(2), pages 251-76, March.
- Caporin, Massimiliano & Ranaldo, Angelo & Santucci de Magistris, Paolo, 2012.
"On the Predictability of Stock Prices: a Case for High and Low Prices,"
Working Papers on Finance
1213, University of St. Gallen, School of Finance.
- Caporin, Massimiliano & Ranaldo, Angelo & Santucci de Magistris, Paolo, 2013. "On the predictability of stock prices: A case for high and low prices," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 37(12), pages 5132-5146.
- Massimiliano Caporin & Angelo Ranaldo & Paolo Santucci de Magistris, 2011. "On the Predictability of Stock Prices: A Case for High and Low Prices," "Marco Fanno" Working Papers 0136, Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche "Marco Fanno".
- Massimiliano Caporin & Angelo Ranaldo, 2011. "On the Predictability of Stock Prices: a Case for High and Low Prices," Working Papers 2011-11, Swiss National Bank.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.