Fiscal policy and the global financial crisis
AbstractThe financial crisis raises demands for fiscal policy interventions. While a fall in aggregate demand is an important consequence of the crisis, it also reflects more underlying structural problems and changes. Hence, appropriate policy designs have to take account of the nature of the crisis and the underlying need for structural changes. While fiscal policy should mainly rely on automatic stabilizers in normal situations, a more active fiscal policy strategy is called for in the present situation. The effectiveness of various types of fiscal instruments and conceivable tensions between short and long-run objectives are discussed. Past experience shows that deep recessions become persistent due to marginalization of unemployed, and therefore labour market policies have to be considered as an integral part of policy packages. Finally the question of international policy coordination is addressed.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus in its series Economics Working Papers with number 2009-07.
Date of creation: 03 Jun 2009
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.econ.au.dk/afn/
automatic stabilizers; discretionary policy; structural changes; labour market policy;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E3 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles
- E6 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Macroeconomic Policy, Macroeconomic Aspects of Public Finance, and General Outlook
- H2 - Public Economics - - Taxation, Subsidies, and Revenue
- H5 - Public Economics - - National Government Expenditures and Related Policies
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2009-06-03 (All new papers)
- NEP-CBA-2009-06-03 (Central Banking)
- NEP-MAC-2009-06-03 (Macroeconomics)
- NEP-PKE-2009-06-03 (Post Keynesian Economics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Bunea-Bontas, Cristina Aurora & Petre, Mihaela Cosmina, 2009.
"Fiscal Policy during the current Crisis,"
18676, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.