A Note on the Vogelsang Test for Additive Outliers
AbstractThe role of additive outliers in integrated time series has attracted some attention recently and research shows that outlier detection should be an integral part of unit root testing procedures. Recently, Vogelsang (1999) suggested an iterative procedure for the detection of multiple additive outliers in integrated time series. However, the procedure appears to suffr from serious size distortions towards the finding of too many outliers as has been shown by Perron and Rodriguez (2003). In this note we prove the inconsistency of the test in each step of the iterative procedure and hence alternative routes need to be taken to detect outliers in nonstationary time series.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus in its series Economics Working Papers with number 2006-01.
Date of creation: 16 Jan 2006
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.econ.au.dk/afn/
Additive outliers; outlier detection; integrated processes;
Other versions of this item:
- Haldrup, Niels & Sansó, Andreu, 2008. "A note on the Vogelsang test for additive outliers," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 78(3), pages 296-300, February.
- C12 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Hypothesis Testing: General
- C2 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables
- C22 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2006-01-24 (All new papers)
- NEP-ECM-2006-01-24 (Econometrics)
- NEP-ETS-2006-01-24 (Econometric Time Series)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Niels Haldrup & Antonio Montañés & Andreu Sansó, 2005.
"Testing for Additive Outliers in Seasonally Integrated Time Series,"
DEA Working Papers
15, Universitat de les Illes Balears, Departament d'Economía Aplicada.
- Niels Haldrup & Antonio Montañés & Andreu Sansó, 2004. "Testing for Additive Outliers in Seasonally Integrated Time Series," Economics Working Papers 2004-14, School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus.
- Pierre Perron & Gabriel RodrÌguez, 2003.
"Searching For Additive Outliers In Nonstationary Time Series,"
Journal of Time Series Analysis,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 24(2), pages 193-220, 03.
- Perron, P. & Rodriguez, G., 2000. "Seraching for Additive Outliers in Nonstationary Time Series," Working Papers 0005e, University of Ottawa, Department of Economics.
- Niels Haldrup & Antonio Montanés & Andreu Sanso, .
"Measurement Errors and Outliers in Seasonal Unit Root Testing,"
Economics Working Papers
2000-8, School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus.
- Haldrup, Niels & Montanes, Antonio & Sanso, Andreu, 2005. "Measurement errors and outliers in seasonal unit root testing," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 127(1), pages 103-128, July.
- Haldrup, Niels Prof. & Montanes, Antonio & SansÃ³, Andreu, 2000. "Measurement Errors and Outliers in Seasonal Unit Root Testing," University of California at San Diego, Economics Working Paper Series qt0gw7q9hk, Department of Economics, UC San Diego.
- repec:aah:aarhec:2005-1 is not listed on IDEAS
- Franses, Philip Hans & Haldrup, Niels, 1994. "The Effects of Additive Outliers on Tests for Unit Roots and Cointegration," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 12(4), pages 471-78, October.
- Olivier Darné & Amélie Charles, 2009.
"Large shocks in U.S. macroeconomic time series: 1860–1988,"
- Olivier Darné & Amélie Charles, 2011. "Large shocks in U.S. macroeconomic time series: 1860-1988," Cliometrica, Journal of Historical Economics and Econometric History, Association Française de Cliométrie (AFC), vol. 5(1), pages 79-100, January.
- Haldrup Niels & Montañes Antonio & Sansó Andreu, 2011.
"Detection of Additive Outliers in Seasonal Time Series,"
Journal of Time Series Econometrics,
De Gruyter, vol. 3(2), pages 1-20, April.
- Niels Haldrup & Antonio Montañés & Andreu Sansó, 2009. "Detection of additive outliers in seasonal time series," CREATES Research Papers 2009-40, School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus.
- Charles, Amélie & Darné, Olivier, 2012. "Trends and random walks in macroeconomic time series: A reappraisal," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 167-180.
- Olivier Darne & Amélie Charles, 2011. "Large shocks in U.S. macroeconomic time series: 1860-1988," Post-Print hal-00771828, HAL.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.