Efficient Inference in Multivariate Fractionally Integrated Time Series Models
AbstractWe consider statistical inference for multivariate fractionally integrated time series models using a computationally simple conditional likelihood procedure which has recently been shown to be efficient in the univariate case. We show that those results generalize to the present multivariate setup, e.g. allowing us to efficiently estimate the memory parameters of vector ARFIMA models or test if two or more series are integrated of the same possibly fractional order. In particular, we show that all the desirable properties from standard statistical analysis apply for the time domain maximum likelihood estimator and related test statistics, i.e. consistency, standard asymptotic distributional properties, and under Gaussianity asymptotic efficiency. The finite sample properties of the likelihood ratio test are evaluated by Monte Carlo experiments, which show that rejection frequencies are very close to the asymptotic local power for samples as small as n=100.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus in its series Economics Working Papers with number 2002-6.
Date of creation:
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.econ.au.dk/afn/
Asymptotic Local Power; Efficient Estimation; Efficient Test; Fractional Integration; Multivariate ARFIMA model; Multivariate Fractional Unit Root; Nonstationarity;
Other versions of this item:
- Morten Orregaard Nielsen, 2004. "Efficient inference in multivariate fractionally integrated time series models," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 7(1), pages 63-97, 06.
- C12 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Hypothesis Testing: General
- C13 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Estimation: General
- C32 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Robinson, P. M., 1991. "Testing for strong serial correlation and dynamic conditional heteroskedasticity in multiple regression," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 47(1), pages 67-84, January.
- Sargan, J D & Bhargava, Alok, 1983. "Maximum Likelihood Estimation of Regression Models with First Order Moving Average Errors When the Root Lies on the Unit Circle," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 51(3), pages 799-820, May.
- Johansen, Soren, 1988. "Statistical analysis of cointegration vectors," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 12(2-3), pages 231-254.
- Ling, Shiqing & Li, W.K., 2001. "Asymptotic Inference For Nonstationary Fractionally Integrated Autoregressive Moving-Average Models," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 17(04), pages 738-764, August.
- Nielsen M.O., 2004.
"Optimal Residual-Based Tests for Fractional Cointegration and Exchange Rate Dynamics,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 22, pages 331-345, July.
- Morten Oerregaard Nielsen, . "Optimal Residual Based Tests for Fractional Cointegration and Exchange Rate Dynamics," Economics Working Papers 2002-7, School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus.
- Choi, In & Chul Ahn, Byung, 1998. "Testing the null of stationarity for multiple time series," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 88(1), pages 41-77, November.
- Breitung, Jorg & Hassler, Uwe, 2002.
"Inference on the cointegration rank in fractionally integrated processes,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 110(2), pages 167-185, October.
- Joerg Breitung and Uwe Hassler, 2001. "Inference on the Cointegration Rank in Fractionally Integrated Processes," Computing in Economics and Finance 2001 233, Society for Computational Economics.
- Breitung, Jörg & Hassler, Uwe, 2000. "Inference on the cointegration rank in fractionally integrated processes," SFB 373 Discussion Papers 2000,65, Humboldt University of Berlin, Interdisciplinary Research Project 373: Quantification and Simulation of Economic Processes.
- Hosoya, Yuzo, 1996. "The quasi-likelihood approach to statistical inference on multiple time-series with long-range dependence," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 73(1), pages 217-236, July.
- Tanaka, Katsuto, 1999. "The Nonstationary Fractional Unit Root," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 15(04), pages 549-582, August.
- Jeganathan, P., 1999. "On Asymptotic Inference In Cointegrated Time Series With Fractionally Integrated Errors," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 15(04), pages 583-621, August.
- repec:dar:vpaper:9323 is not listed on IDEAS
- Peter C.B. Phillips & Steven N. Durlauf, 1985.
"Multiple Time Series Regression with Integrated Processes,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
768, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Phillips, P C B & Durlauf, S N, 1986. "Multiple Time Series Regression with Integrated Processes," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 53(4), pages 473-95, August.
- Tschernig, Rolf & Weber, Enzo & Weigand, Roland, 2013. "Fractionally Integrated VAR Models with a Fractional Lag Operator and Deterministic Trends: Finite Sample Identification and Two-step Estimation," University of Regensburg Working Papers in Business, Economics and Management Information Systems 471, University of Regensburg, Department of Economics.
- Fleming, Jeff & Kirby, Chris, 2011. "Long memory in volatility and trading volume," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 35(7), pages 1714-1726, July.
- Guglielmo Maria Caporale & Luis A. Gil-Alana, 2007. "A Multivariate Long-Memory Model with Structural Breaks," CESifo Working Paper Series 1950, CESifo Group Munich.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.