Multivariate Lagrange Multiplier Tests for Fractional Integration
AbstractWe introduce a multivariate Lagrange Multiplier (LM) test for fractional integration. We derive and analyze the LM statistic and show that it is asymptotically chi-squared distributed under local alternatives, and that, under Gaussianity, the LM test is asymptotically efficient against local alternatives. It is shown that the regression variant in Breitung & Hassler (2002, Journal of Econometrics 110, 167-185) is not equivalent to the LM test in the multivariate case, although it is in the univariate case. A generalization of the LM test that explicitly allows for different integration orders for each variate is also introduced. The finite sample properties of the LM test are evaluated and compared to the Breitung & Hassler (2002) test by Monte Carlo experiments. An application to multivariate time series of real interest rates for six countries is offered, demonstrating that more clear-cut evidence can be drawn from multivariate tests compared to conducting several univariate tests.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus in its series Economics Working Papers with number 2002-18.
Date of creation:
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.econ.au.dk/afn/
Asymptotic Local Power; Efficient Test; Fractional Integration; Lagrange Multiplier Test; Multivariate Fractional Unit Root; Nonstationarity;
Other versions of this item:
- Morten �rregaard Nielsen, 2005. "Multivariate Lagrange Multiplier Tests for Fractional Integration," Journal of Financial Econometrics, Society for Financial Econometrics, vol. 3(3), pages 372-398.
- C32 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models; Diffusion Processes
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2004-03-28 (All new papers)
- NEP-ECM-2004-03-28 (Econometrics)
- NEP-ETS-2004-03-28 (Econometric Time Series)
- NEP-RMG-2004-03-28 (Risk Management)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Robinson, P. M., 1991. "Testing for strong serial correlation and dynamic conditional heteroskedasticity in multiple regression," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 47(1), pages 67-84, January.
- Peter KUGLER & Klaus NEUSSER, 1990.
"International Real Interest Rate Equalization: A Multivariate Time Series Approach,"
Vienna Economics Papers
vie9003, University of Vienna, Department of Economics.
- Kugler, Peter & Neusser, K, 1993. "International Real Interest Rate Equalization: A Multivariate Time-Series Approach," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 8(2), pages 163-74, April-Jun.
- Nyblom, Jukka & Harvey, Andrew, 1999.
"Tests of Common Stochastic Trends,"
Cambridge Working Papers in Economics
9902, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Phillips, P C B & Durlauf, S N, 1986.
"Multiple Time Series Regression with Integrated Processes,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 53(4), pages 473-95, August.
- Peter C.B. Phillips & Steven N. Durlauf, 1985. "Multiple Time Series Regression with Integrated Processes," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 768, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Breitung, Jorg & Hassler, Uwe, 2002.
"Inference on the cointegration rank in fractionally integrated processes,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 110(2), pages 167-185, October.
- Joerg Breitung and Uwe Hassler, 2001. "Inference on the Cointegration Rank in Fractionally Integrated Processes," Computing in Economics and Finance 2001 233, Society for Computational Economics.
- Breitung, Jörg & Hassler, Uwe, 2000. "Inference on the cointegration rank in fractionally integrated processes," SFB 373 Discussion Papers 2000,65, Humboldt University of Berlin, Interdisciplinary Research Project 373: Quantification and Simulation of Economic Processes.
- Johansen, Soren, 1988. "Statistical analysis of cointegration vectors," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 12(2-3), pages 231-254.
- Choi, In & Chul Ahn, Byung, 1998. "Testing the null of stationarity for multiple time series," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 88(1), pages 41-77, November.
- Tanaka, Katsuto, 1999. "The Nonstationary Fractional Unit Root," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 15(04), pages 549-582, August.
- Luis F. Martins & Paulo M.M. Rodrigues, 2010.
"Testing for Persistence Change in Fractionally Integrated Models: An Application to World Inflation Rates,"
w201030, Banco de Portugal, Economics and Research Department.
- Martins, Luis F. & Rodrigues, Paulo M.M., 2014. "Testing for persistence change in fractionally integrated models: An application to world inflation rates," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 76(C), pages 502-522.
- Massimiliano Caporin & Angelo Ranaldo, 2011.
"On the Predictability of Stock Prices: a Case for High and Low Prices,"
2011-11, Swiss National Bank.
- Caporin, Massimiliano & Ranaldo, Angelo & Santucci de Magistris, Paolo, 2013. "On the predictability of stock prices: A case for high and low prices," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 37(12), pages 5132-5146.
- Massimiliano Caporin & Angelo Ranaldo & Paolo Santucci de Magistris, 2011. "On the Predictability of Stock Prices: A Case for High and Low Prices," "Marco Fanno" Working Papers 0136, Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche "Marco Fanno".
- Caporin, Massimiliano & Ranaldo, Angelo & Santucci de Magistris, Paolo, 2012. "On the Predictability of Stock Prices: a Case for High and Low Prices," Working Papers on Finance 1213, University of St. Gallen, School of Finance.
- Luis Alberiko Gil-Alana & Antonio Moreno, .
"Technology Shocks and Hours Worked: A Fractional Integration Perspective,"
Faculty Working Papers
03/06, School of Economics and Business Administration, University of Navarra.
- Gil-Alana, Luis Alberiko & Moreno, Antonio, 2009. "Technology Shocks And Hours Worked: A Fractional Integration Perspective," Macroeconomic Dynamics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 13(05), pages 580-604, November.
- Apergis, Nicholas & Tsoumas, Chris, 2011. "Integration properties of disaggregated solar, geothermal and biomass energy consumption in the U.S," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(9), pages 5474-5479, September.
- Katarzyna Lasak & Carlos Velasco, 2013.
"Fractional cointegration rank estimation,"
CREATES Research Papers
2013-08, School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus.
- Belbute, José, 2013. "Does final demand for energy in Portugal exhibit long memory?," MPRA Paper 45717, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Katarzyna Lasak, 2008.
"Likelihood based testing for no fractional cointegration,"
CREATES Research Papers
2008-52, School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus.
- Lasak, Katarzyna, 2010. "Likelihood based testing for no fractional cointegration," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 158(1), pages 67-77, September.
- Lean, Hooi Hooi & Smyth, Russell, 2009. "Long memory in US disaggregated petroleum consumption: Evidence from univariate and multivariate LM tests for fractional integration," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(8), pages 3205-3211, August.
- Barros, Carlos Pestana & Gil-Alana, Luis A. & Payne, James E., 2013. "U.S. Disaggregated renewable energy consumption: Persistence and long memory behavior," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(C), pages 425-432.
- Gil-Alana, Luis A. & Fischer, Christian, 2007. "International traveling and trade: further evidence for the case of Spanish wine based on fractional VAR specifications," 105th Seminar, March 8-10, 2007, Bologna, Italy 7859, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Russell Smyth, 2012.
"Are fluctuations in energy variables permanent or transitory? A survey of the literature on the integration properties of energy consumption and production,"
Development Research Unit Working Paper Series
04-12, Monash University, Department of Economics.
- Smyth, Russell, 2013. "Are fluctuations in energy variables permanent or transitory? A survey of the literature on the integration properties of energy consumption and production," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 104(C), pages 371-378.
- Uwe Hassler & Matei Demetrescu & Adina Tarcolea, 2011. "Asymptotic normal tests for integration in panels with cross-dependent units," AStA Advances in Statistical Analysis, Springer, vol. 95(2), pages 187-204, June.
- Apergis, Nicholas & Tsoumas, Chris, 2012. "Long memory and disaggregated energy consumption: Evidence from fossils, coal and electricity retail in the U.S," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(4), pages 1082-1087.
- Avarucci, Marco & Velasco, Carlos, 2008.
"A Wald Test for the Cointegration Rank in Nonstationary Fractional Systems,"
049, Maastricht University, Maastricht Research School of Economics of Technology and Organization (METEOR).
- Avarucci, Marco & Velasco, Carlos, 2009. "A Wald test for the cointegration rank in nonstationary fractional systems," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 151(2), pages 178-189, August.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.