Multivariate Lagrange Multiplier Tests for Fractional Integration
AbstractWe introduce a multivariate Lagrange Multiplier (LM) test for fractional integration. We derive and analyze the LM statistic and show that it is asymptotically chi-squared distributed under local alternatives, and that, under Gaussianity, the LM test is asymptotically efficient against local alternatives. It is shown that the regression variant in Breitung & Hassler (2002, Journal of Econometrics 110, 167-185) is not equivalent to the LM test in the multivariate case, although it is in the univariate case. A generalization of the LM test that explicitly allows for different integration orders for each variate is also introduced. The finite sample properties of the LM test are evaluated and compared to the Breitung & Hassler (2002) test by Monte Carlo experiments. An application to multivariate time series of real interest rates for six countries is offered, demonstrating that more clear-cut evidence can be drawn from multivariate tests compared to conducting several univariate tests.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus in its series Economics Working Papers with number 2002-18.
Date of creation:
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.econ.au.dk/afn/
Asymptotic Local Power; Efficient Test; Fractional Integration; Lagrange Multiplier Test; Multivariate Fractional Unit Root; Nonstationarity;
Other versions of this item:
- Morten �rregaard Nielsen, 2005. "Multivariate Lagrange Multiplier Tests for Fractional Integration," Journal of Financial Econometrics, Society for Financial Econometrics, vol. 3(3), pages 372-398.
- C32 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2004-03-28 (All new papers)
- NEP-ECM-2004-03-28 (Econometrics)
- NEP-ETS-2004-03-28 (Econometric Time Series)
- NEP-RMG-2004-03-28 (Risk Management)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Peter KUGLER & Klaus NEUSSER, 1990.
"International Real Interest Rate Equalization: A Multivariate Time Series Approach,"
Vienna Economics Papers
vie9003, University of Vienna, Department of Economics.
- Kugler, Peter & Neusser, K, 1993. "International Real Interest Rate Equalization: A Multivariate Time-Series Approach," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 8(2), pages 163-74, April-Jun.
- Phillips, P C B & Durlauf, S N, 1986.
"Multiple Time Series Regression with Integrated Processes,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 53(4), pages 473-95, August.
- Peter C.B. Phillips & Steven N. Durlauf, 1985. "Multiple Time Series Regression with Integrated Processes," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 768, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Choi, In & Chul Ahn, Byung, 1998. "Testing the null of stationarity for multiple time series," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 88(1), pages 41-77, November.
- Tanaka, Katsuto, 1999. "The Nonstationary Fractional Unit Root," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 15(04), pages 549-582, August.
- Breitung, Jorg & Hassler, Uwe, 2002.
"Inference on the cointegration rank in fractionally integrated processes,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 110(2), pages 167-185, October.
- Breitung, Jörg & Hassler, Uwe, 2002. "Inference on the cointegration rank in fractionally integrated processes," Publications of Darmstadt Technical University, Institute of Economics (VWL) 9323, Darmstadt Technical University, Department of Business Administration, Economics and Law, Institute of Economics (VWL).
- Breitung, Jörg & Hassler, Uwe, 2000. "Inference on the cointegration rank in fractionally integrated processes," SFB 373 Discussion Papers 2000,65, Humboldt University of Berlin, Interdisciplinary Research Project 373: Quantification and Simulation of Economic Processes.
- Joerg Breitung and Uwe Hassler, 2001. "Inference on the Cointegration Rank in Fractionally Integrated Processes," Computing in Economics and Finance 2001 233, Society for Computational Economics.
- Nyblom, Jukka & Harvey, Andrew, 1999.
"Tests of Common Stochastic Trends,"
Cambridge Working Papers in Economics
9902, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Robinson, P. M., 1991. "Testing for strong serial correlation and dynamic conditional heteroskedasticity in multiple regression," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 47(1), pages 67-84, January.
- Johansen, Soren, 1988. "Statistical analysis of cointegration vectors," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 12(2-3), pages 231-254.
- Guglielmo Maria Caporale & Luis A. Gil-Alana, 2006. "Fractional Integration And Impulse Responses: A Bivariate Application To Real Output In The Us And The Scandinavian Countries," Economics and Finance Discussion Papers 06-25, Economics and Finance Section, School of Social Sciences, Brunel University.
- Avarucci, Marco & Velasco, Carlos, 2009.
"A Wald test for the cointegration rank in nonstationary fractional systems,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 151(2), pages 178-189, August.
- Avarucci, Marco & Velasco, Carlos, 2008. "A Wald Test for the Cointegration Rank in Nonstationary Fractional Systems," Research Memoranda 049, Maastricht : METEOR, Maastricht Research School of Economics of Technology and Organization.
- Apergis, Nicholas & Tsoumas, Chris, 2011. "Integration properties of disaggregated solar, geothermal and biomass energy consumption in the U.S," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(9), pages 5474-5479, September.
- Katarzyna Lasak & Carlos Velasco, 2013. "Fractional cointegration rank estimation," CREATES Research Papers 2013-08, School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus.
- Massimiliano Caporin & Angelo Ranaldo & Paolo Santucci de Magistris, 2011.
"On the Predictability of Stock Prices: A Case for High and Low Prices,"
"Marco Fanno" Working Papers
0136, Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche "Marco Fanno".
- Massimiliano Caporin & Angelo Ranaldo, 2011. "On the Predictability of Stock Prices: a Case for High and Low Prices," Working Papers 2011-11, Swiss National Bank.
- Gil-Alana, Luis Alberiko & Moreno, Antonio, 2009.
"Technology Shocks And Hours Worked: A Fractional Integration Perspective,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 13(05), pages 580-604, November.
- Luis Alberiko Gil-Alana & Antonio Moreno, . "Technology Shocks and Hours Worked: A Fractional Integration Perspective," Faculty Working Papers 03/06, School of Economics and Business Administration, University of Navarra.
- Uwe Hassler & Matei Demetrescu & Adina Tarcolea, 2011. "Asymptotic normal tests for integration in panels with cross-dependent units," AStA Advances in Statistical Analysis, Springer, vol. 95(2), pages 187-204, June.
- Lean, Hooi Hooi & Smyth, Russell, 2009. "Long memory in US disaggregated petroleum consumption: Evidence from univariate and multivariate LM tests for fractional integration," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(8), pages 3205-3211, August.
- Katarzyna Lasak, 2008.
"Likelihood based testing for no fractional cointegration,"
CREATES Research Papers
2008-52, School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus.
- Lasak, Katarzyna, 2010. "Likelihood based testing for no fractional cointegration," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 158(1), pages 67-77, September.
- Luis F. Martins & Paulo M.M. Rodrigues, 2010. "Testing for Persistence Change in Fractionally Integrated Models: An Application to World Inflation Rates," Working Papers w201030, Banco de Portugal, Economics and Research Department.
- Russell Smyth, 2012. "Are fluctuations in energy variables permanent or transitory? A survey of the literature on the integration properties of energy consumption and production," Monash Economics Working Papers 04-12, Monash University, Department of Economics.
- Gil-Alana, Luis A. & Fischer, Christian, 2007. "International traveling and trade: further evidence for the case of Spanish wine based on fractional VAR specifications," 105th Seminar, March 8-10, 2007, Bologna, Italy 7859, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.