Earnings Inequality in Germany
In: Differences and Changes in Wage Structures
AbstractRecent studies have documented the growth of earnings inequality in the United States during the 1980s. In contrast to these studies' findings, our analysis of micro data for the former West Germany yields virtually no evidence of growth in earnings inequality over the same period. Between 1978 and 1988, a reduction in the dispersion of earnings among workers in the bottom half of the earnings distribution led to a narrowing of the overall dispersion of earnings in Germany. Earnings differentials across education and age groups remained roughly stable, and there was no general widening of earnings differentials within either education or age groups. Germany wage setting institutions tend to limit earnings differentials across groups of workers, but differences in wage setting institutions cannot fully explain the differences between trends in earnings inequality in Germany and those in the United States. Both the high quality of the training received by non- college-bound German youth and the fact that the growth of the highly- educated work force did not decelerate in Germany as it did in the United States seem likely to have contributed to these differences.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
This chapter was published in: Richard B. Freeman & Lawrence F. Katz (ed.) Differences and Changes in Wage Structures, University of Chicago Press, pages 371-403, 1995.
This item is provided by W.E. Upjohn Institute for Employment Research in its series Book chapters authored by Upjohn Institute researchers with number snhkga19951.
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 300 S. Westnedge Ave. Kalamazoo, MI 49007 USA
Web page: http://www.upjohn.org
wage inequality; wage structure; Germany;
Other versions of this item:
- Katharine G. Abraham & Susan N. Houseman, 1993. "Earnings Inequality in Germany," Upjohn Working Papers and Journal Articles 94-24, W.E. Upjohn Institute for Employment Research.
- Katharine G. Abraham & Susan N. Houseman, 1993. "Earnings Inequality in Germany," NBER Working Papers 4541, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- J31 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Wages, Compensation, and Labor Costs - - - Wage Level and Structure; Wage Differentials
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fels, Joachim & Gundlach, Erich, 1990.
"More evidence on the puzzle of interindustry wage differentials: the case of West Germany,"
Kiel Working Papers
400, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Fels, Joachim & Gundlach, Erich, 1990. "More evidence on the puzzle of interindustry wage differentials : the case of West Germany," Open Access Publications from Kiel Institute for the World Economy 1448, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- repec:fth:coluec:452 is not listed on IDEAS
- Steven J. Davis, 1992.
"Cross-Country Patterns of Change in Relative Wages,"
NBER Working Papers
4085, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Steven J. Davis, 1992. "Cross-Country Patterns of Change in Relative Wages," NBER Chapters, in: NBER Macroeconomics Annual 1992, Volume 7, pages 239-300 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- McKinley L. Blackburn & David E. Bloom & Richard B. Freeman, 1989.
"The Declining Economic Position of Less-Skilled American Males,"
NBER Working Papers
3186, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Blackburn-Mckinley, L. & Bloom, D.E. & Freeman, R.B., 1989. "The Declining Economic Position Of Less-Skilled American Males," Discussion Papers 1989_41, Columbia University, Department of Economics.
- Juhn, Chinhui & Murphy, Kevin M & Pierce, Brooks, 1993. "Wage Inequality and the Rise in Returns to Skill," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 101(3), pages 410-42, June.
- Rainer Thiehoff, . "Lohnnivellierung und qualifikatorische Arbeitslosigkeitsstruktur - Eine theoretische und empirische Analyse der Beziehungen zwischen der qualifikatorischen Lohn- und Arbeitslosigkeitsstruktur," List Monographien 009, List Gesellschaft e.V..
- Lawrence F. Katz & Gary W. Loveman & David G. Blanchflower, 1993. "A Comparison of Changes in the Structure of Wages," NBER Working Papers 4297, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
This item has more than 25 citations. To prevent cluttering this page, these citations are listed on a separate page. reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.