Impact of corruption on bank profitability in Nigeria
In: Proceedings of FIKUSZ '09
AbstractThis study sought to econometrically analyze the impact of corruption on bank profitability in Nigeria. Using a panel data set comprising 358 observations of 48 unique banks over the 1996 - 2006 time period, backward stepwise regression results reveal that corruption has a significant positive impact on bank profitability in Nigeria. The results lend credence to accusations that banks in Nigeria are thriving from corruption in the country.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
This chapter was published in: László Áron Kóczy (ed.) Proceedings of FIKUSZ '09, , pages 7-16, 2009.
This item is provided by Óbuda University, Keleti Faculty of Business and Management in its series Proceedings of FIKUSZ '09 with number 7-16.
Banking; Profitability; Corruption; Nigeria;
Other versions of this item:
- Toni Uhomoibhi ABURIME, 2009. "Impact Of Corruption On Bank Profitability In Nigeria," EuroEconomica, Danubius University of Galati, issue 2(23), pages 50-57, december.
- C23 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Models with Panel Data; Spatio-temporal Models
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Panayiotis P. Athanasoglou & Sophocles N. Brissimis & Matthaios D. Delis, 2005.
"Bank-Specific, Industry-Specific and Macroeconomic Determinants of Bank Profitability,"
25, Bank of Greece.
- Athanasoglou, Panayiotis P. & Brissimis, Sophocles N. & Delis, Matthaios D., 2008. "Bank-specific, industry-specific and macroeconomic determinants of bank profitability," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 121-136, April.
- Athanasoglou, Panayiotis & Brissimis, Sophocles & Delis, Matthaios, 2005. "Bank-specific, industry-specific and macroeconomic determinants of bank profitability," MPRA Paper 32026, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Koehn, Michael & Santomero, Anthony M, 1980. " Regulation of Bank Capital and Portfolio Risk," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 35(5), pages 1235-44, December.
- Kim, Daesik & Santomero, Anthony M, 1988. " Risk in Banking and Capital Regulation," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 43(5), pages 1219-33, December.
- Gastanaga, Victor M. & Nugent, Jeffrey B. & Pashamova, Bistra, 1998. "Host Country Reforms and FDI Inflows: How Much Difference do they Make?," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 26(7), pages 1299-1314, July.
- Muhammad, Shahbaz & Qazi, Muhammad Adnan Hye & Muhammad, Shahbaz Shabbir, 2011. "Does Corruption Increase Financial Development? A Time Series Analysis in Pakistan," MPRA Paper 29640, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 10 Mar 2011.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alexandra Vécsey).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.