law and economics of copyright and trademarks on the Internet
AbstractThis article provides an overview of the new opportunities and challenges for copyright and trademark law and economics research created by the Internet. It reviews the relevant literature in the field of copyright law, in particular as it relates to piracy, liability and market structure, Digital Rights Management, the relationship between copyright and contract, and incentives for creativity. As far as trademark law is concerned, the article describes the empirical literature, focusing on keyword advertising. The article concludes with an outlook on future research areas and methodologies.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
This chapter was published in: Steven N. Durlauf & Lawrence E. Blume (ed.) , , chapter 1, pages , 2013,2nd quarter update.
This item is provided by Palgrave Macmillan in its series The New Palgrave Dictionary of Economics with number v:7:year:2013:doi:3900.
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.palgrave-journals.com/
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- K0 - Law and Economics - - General
- K29 - Law and Economics - - Regulation and Business Law - - - Other
- L15 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Information and Product Quality
- L16 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Industrial Organization and Macroeconomics; Macroeconomic Industrial Structure
- L17 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Open Source Products and Markets
- L81 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Services - - - Retail and Wholesale Trade; e-Commerce
- L82 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Services - - - Entertainment; Media
- L86 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Services - - - Information and Internet Services; Computer Software
You can help add them by filling out this form.
reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sheeja Sanoj).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.