Efficiency in Turkish State Libraries a Data Envelopment Analysis Application
In: Proceedings of the Conference on Human and Economic Resources
AbstractThis paper investigates the relative efficiency of public (state) libraries of major cities in Turkey by applying a data envelopment analysis. Scale, technical, and overall efficiency scores are calculated. It is found that there is a negative correlation between economic and social development index of the cities and efficiency scores of state libraries of same cities. In order to understand the sources of technical inefficiencies, the slack analysis is employed. Book collection and library staff are turned out to be the most problematic inputs and library members and lending of the books the most problematic outputs.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
This chapter was published in:
This item is provided by Izmir University of Economics in its series Papers of the Annual IUE-SUNY Cortland Conference in Economics with number 200607.
public libraries; efficiency; data envelopment analysis; Turkey;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Rhodes, E., 1978. "Measuring the efficiency of decision making units," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 2(6), pages 429-444, November.
- Hammond, Christopher J., 1999. "The technology of library service provision: a cost function analysis of public library systems in the United Kingdom," Information Economics and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 271-295, September.
- R. D. Banker & A. Charnes & W. W. Cooper, 1984. "Some Models for Estimating Technical and Scale Inefficiencies in Data Envelopment Analysis," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 30(9), pages 1078-1092, September.
- Andrew Worthington, 1999. "Performance Indicators and Efficiency Measurement in Public Libraries," Australian Economic Review, The University of Melbourne, Melbourne Institute of Applied Economic and Social Research, vol. 32(1), pages 31-42.
- Chen, Tser-yieth, 1997. "A measurement of the resource utilization efficiency of university libraries," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 53(1), pages 71-80, November.
- Donald F. Vitaliano, 1998. "Assessing Public Library Efficiency Using Data Envelopment Analysis," Annals of Public and Cooperative Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 69(1), pages 107-122, 03.
- Christopher Hammond, 2002. "Efficiency in the provision of public services: a data envelopment analysis of UK public library systems," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 34(5), pages 649-657.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ayla Ogus Binatli).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.