The Mexican Tax-Benefit System
In: Sistemas de impuestos y prestaciones en América Latina
AbstractAfter the economic crisis that erupted in 1994, extreme poverty in Mexico increased steadily until it ended up affecting more than one third of the population in 1996. Since then, the government has increased substantially social benefits, directing most of its efforts toward reducing poverty (the percentage of population living in poverty, although still high, is now lower than in the pre-crisis years). Regarding the tax system, in 2007 the Congress enacted several changes in the case of income taxes and some excise taxes. Thus, on both sides, benefits and taxes, there have been several recent reforms in Mexico that are worth to study in a micro-simulation framework.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
This chapter was published in:
This item is provided by Tecnológico de Monterrey, Campus Ciudad de México in its series EGAP Chapters with number 201101.
Mexico; tax system; benefit system; impuestos; prestaciones sociales;
Other versions of this item:
- Absalón, Carlos & Urzúa, Carlos M., 2009. "The Mexican Tax-Benefit System," EGAP Working Papers, TecnolÃ³gico de Monterrey, Campus Ciudad de MÃ©xico 2009-06, Tecnológico de Monterrey, Campus Ciudad de México.
- H20 - Public Economics - - Taxation, Subsidies, and Revenue - - - General
- H24 - Public Economics - - Taxation, Subsidies, and Revenue - - - Personal Income and Other Nonbusiness Taxes and Subsidies
- H50 - Public Economics - - National Government Expenditures and Related Policies - - - General
- H55 - Public Economics - - National Government Expenditures and Related Policies - - - Social Security and Public Pensions
- O54 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economywide Country Studies - - - Latin America; Caribbean
You can help add them by filling out this form.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Amaranta Arroyo).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.