Local public goods and clubs
In: Handbook of Public Economics
AbstractI discuss recent contributions to the theory of group formation and the provision of jointly consumed public goods and services. I highlight the distinction between models of pure group formation, and models where the formation of groups and the sharing of public goods are constrained by a division of geographic space into jurisdictions. Much of the literature concerns the distortions that arise when price systems or tax systems are constrained, for example, to serve the dual roles of redistributing income and funding public services. I also highlight the distortions that can arise from arbitrary divisions of space, and review recent contributions that emphasize the distortions that arise when there are both public and private providers of services. My focus is mainly on equilibrium concepts and policy instruments.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
This chapter was published in:
This item is provided by Elsevier in its series Handbook of Public Economics with number 4-29.
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/bookseriesdescription.cws_home/BS_HE/description
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- H0 - Public Economics - - General
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Daron Acemoglu & Georgy Egorov & Konstantin Sonin, 2008.
"Dynamics and Stability of Constitutions, Coalitions, and Clubs,"
NBER Working Papers
14239, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Daron Acemoglu & Georgy Egorov & Konstantin Sonin, 2012. "Dynamics and Stability of Constitutions, Coalitions, and Clubs," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 102(4), pages 1446-76, June.
- Konstantin Sonin & Georgy Egorov & Daron Acemoglu, 2008. "Dynamics and Stability of Constitutions, Coalitions and Clubs," 2008 Meeting Papers 314, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Dahm, Matthias, 2009.
"Free Mobility and Taste-Homogeneity of Jurisdiction Structures,"
2072/15809, Universitat Rovira i Virgili, Department of Economics.
- Matthias Dahm, 2010. "Free mobility and taste-homogeneity of jurisdiction structures," International Journal of Game Theory, Springer, vol. 39(1), pages 259-272, March.
- Francisco Martínez Mora, 2004. "The impact of fiscal decentralization on income segregation," Economic Working Papers at Centro de Estudios Andaluces E2004/68, Centro de Estudios Andaluces.
- Luca Corazzini, Ugo Gianazza, 2006. "Asymmetric Contributions from Identical Agents in a Local Interaction Model," ISLA Working Papers 24, ISLA, Centre for research on Latin American Studies and Transition Economies, Universita' Bocconi, Milano, Italy, revised Mar 2007.
- Diego Puga, 2009.
"The magnitude and causes of agglomeration economies,"
2009-09, Instituto Madrileño de Estudios Avanzados (IMDEA) Ciencias Sociales.
- Diego Puga, 2010. "The Magnitude And Causes Of Agglomeration Economies," Journal of Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 50(1), pages 203-219.
- TABUCHI, Takatoshi & THISSE, Jacques-François, .
"A new economic geography model of central places,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
-2267, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Furtan, William Hartley & Guzel, A. & Weseen, A.S., 2005. "Landscape Clubs: Co-existence of GM and Organic Crops," 2005 International Congress, August 23-27, 2005, Copenhagen, Denmark 24495, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Elvery, Joel A., 2010. "City size and skill intensity," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(6), pages 367-379, November.
- Bloch, Francis & Zenginobuz, E. Unal, 2006. "Tiebout equilibria in local public good economies with spillovers," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 90(8-9), pages 1745-1763, September.
- Hochman, Oded, 2011. "Efficient agglomeration of spatial clubs," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 69(1), pages 118-135, January.
- Marie-Laure Breuillé & Robert J. Gary-Bobo, 2005.
"Sharing Budgetary Austerity under Free Mobility and Asymmetric Information: An Optimal Regulation Approach to Fiscal Federalism,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
1559, CESifo Group Munich.
- Breuille, Marie-Laure & Gary-Bobo, Robert J., 2007. "Sharing budgetary austerity under free mobility and asymmetric information: An optimal regulation approach to fiscal federalism," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 91(5-6), pages 1177-1196, June.
- Cheikbossian, Guillaume, 2008. "Rent-seeking, spillovers and the benefits of decentralization," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 63(1), pages 217-228, January.
- Eduardo Morales-Ramos, 2009. "The evolution of fuzzy multidimensional poverty in Mexico, 1994-2006," Working Papers 2009-04, Banco de México.
- Zeng, Dao-Zhi, 2008. "New economic geography with heterogeneous preferences: An explanation of segregation," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 63(1), pages 306-324, January.
- Martijn B.W. Kobus & Jos N. van Ommeren & Hans R.A. Koster & Piet Rietveld, 2013. "Congestible Goods and Hoarding: A Test based on Students' Use of University Computers," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 13-083/VIII, Tinbergen Institute.
- Gilles, R.P. & Lazarova, E.A. & Ruys, P.H.M., 2008. "Stable Economic Cooperation: A Relational Approach," Discussion Paper 2008-25, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Gilles, R.P. & Lazarova, E.A. & Ruys, P.H.M., 2011. "Economic Institutions and Stability: A Network Approach," Discussion Paper 2011-084, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Konishi, Hideo, 2013. "Entrepreneurial land developers: Joint production, local externalities, and mixed housing developments," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 75(C), pages 68-79.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.