Analog estimation of econometric models
In: Handbook of Econometrics
AbstractSuppose that one wants to estimate a parameter characterizing some feature of a specified population. One has some prior information about the population and a random sample of observations. A widely applicable approach is to estimate the parameter by a sample analog; that is, by a statistic having the same properties in the sample as the parameter does in the population. If there is no such statistic, then one may choose an estimate that, in some well-defined sense, makes the known properties of the population hold as closely as possible in the sample. These are analog estimation methods. This chapter surveys some uses of analog methods to estimate two classes of econometric models, the separable and the response models.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
This chapter was published in:
This item is provided by Elsevier in its series Handbook of Econometrics with number 4-43.
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/bookseriesdescription.cws_home/BS_HE/description
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C39 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Other
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Xiaohong Chen & Oliver Linton & Ingred Van Keilegom, 2002.
"Estimation of semiparametric models when the criterion function is not smooth,"
CeMMAP working papers
CWP02/02, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Xiaohong Chen & Oliver Linton & Ingrid Van Keilegom, 2003. "Estimation of Semiparametric Models when the Criterion Function Is Not Smooth," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 71(5), pages 1591-1608, 09.
- Xiaohong Chen & Oliver Linton & Ingrid Van Keilegom, 2003. "Estimation of semiparametric models when the criterion function is not smooth," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 2167, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Xiaohong Chen & Oliver Linton & Ingrid Van Keilegom, 2003. "Estimation of Semiparametric Models when the Criterion Function is not Smooth," STICERD - Econometrics Paper Series /2003/450, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.