Culture in Urban and Regional Development
AbstractThis chapter critically assesses, from an economic viewpoint, the role of the arts and culture in urban and regional development and growth. This includes the analysis of short run spending impacts, and longer term effects on location quality and creativity. In addition, the specific possibilities for using arts and cultural activities as a focal point in strategies for urban revitalization are discussed including the role of tourism, the non-market demand for arts and culture as an element in local willingness to support urban and regional development policies, questions of sustainability, etc. The reverse influence of regional economic development on the demand for and supply of culture in the region is analyzed and the location of arts and cultural industries is discussed highlighting the role of agglomeration of cultural industries.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
This chapter was published in:
This item is provided by Elsevier in its series Handbook of the Economics of Art and Culture with number 1-30.
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/bookseriesdescription.cws_home/BS_HE/description
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- Z19 - Other Special Topics - - Cultural Economics - - - Other
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Torrisi, Gianpiero & Pike, Andy & Tomaney, John & Tselios, Vassilis, 2011. "(Re-)exploring the link between devolution and regional disparities in Italy," MPRA Paper 32212, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Roberto Cellini & Tiziana Cuccia, 2013.
"Museum and monument attendance and tourism flow: a time series analysis approach,"
Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 45(24), pages 3473-3482, August.
- Cellini, Roberto & Cuccia, Tiziana, 2009. "Museum and monument attendance and tourism flow: A time series analysis approach," MPRA Paper 18908, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Sibelle Diniz & Ana Machado, 2011. "Analysis of the consumption of artistic-cultural goods and services in Brazil," Journal of Cultural Economics, Springer, vol. 35(1), pages 1-18, February.
- Lyons, Sean & Mayor, Karen & Moro, Mirko & Tol, Richard S J, 2011.
"Does the housing market reflect cultural heritage? A case study of Greater Dublin,"
Stirling Economics Discussion Papers
2011-07, University of Stirling, Division of Economics.
- Moro, Mirko & Mayor, Karen & Lyons, Seán & Tol, Richard S. J., 2011. "Does the housing market reflect cultural heritage? A case study of Greater Dublin," Papers WP386, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.