Implementing monetary policy in the crisis times - the case of the ECB
AbstractThis paper discusses the implementation of monetary policy during the economic and financial crisis of 2007-10. After summarising the different measures adopted by the ECB during these turbulent times, we present a stylised theoretical model that allows us to focus on the main trade-offs faced in implementing monetary policy. We argue that it is the level of key policy interest rates and the width of the interest rate corridor set by the standing facilities, and not the quantity of liquidity that is provided to the market, that are key to sustaining (some) private intermediation in the money market in the presence of increasing credit and liquidity risk. The model highlights the trade-offs faced by central banks when deciding on the degree and timing of its interventions. The main implications of the theory are supported by the empirical evidence.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
This chapter was published in:
This item is provided by European Central Bank in its series Chapters with number cbc6-23.
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E43 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates - - - Interest Rates: Determination, Term Structure, and Effects
- E58 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Monetary Policy, Central Banking, and the Supply of Money and Credit - - - Central Banks and Their Policies
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Peter Stella & Seiichi Shimizu & Simon Gray & Ulrich H. Klueh & Alexandre Chailloux, 2008. "Central Bank Response to the 2007-08 Financial Market Turbulence: Experiences and Lessons Drawn," IMF Working Papers 08/210, International Monetary Fund.
- Marie Hoerova & Cornelia Holthausen & Florian Heider, 2009.
"Liquidity hoarding and interbank market spreads: the role of counterparty risk,"
2009 Meeting Papers
929, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Heider, Florian & Hoerova, Marie & Holthausen, Cornelia, 2009. "Liquidity hoarding and interbank market spreads: the role of counterparty risk," Working Paper Series 1126, European Central Bank.
- Heider, F. & Hoerova, M. & Holthausen, C., 2009. "Liquidity Hoarding and Interbank Market Spreads: The Role of Counterparty Risk," Discussion Paper 2009-40 S, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Heider, Florian & Hoerova, Marie & Holthausen, Cornelia, 2010. "Liquidity Hoarding and Interbank Market Spreads: The Role of Counterparty Risk," CEPR Discussion Papers 7762, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Todd Keister & James McAndrews, 2009.
"Why are banks holding so many excess reserves?,"
380, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Beirne, John & Dalitz, Lars & Ejsing, Jacob & Grothe, Magdalena & Manganelli, Simone & Monar, Fernando & Sahel, Benjamin & Sušec, Matjaž & Tapking, Jens & Vong, Tana, 2011. "The impact of the Eurosystem's covered bond purchase programme on the primary and secondary markets," Occasional Paper Series 122, European Central Bank.
- Giannone, Domenico & Lenza, Michele & Pill, Huw & Reichlin, Lucrezia, 2010.
"Non-standard Monetary Policy Measures and Monetary Developments,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
8125, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Domenico Giannone & Michèle Lenza & Huw Pill & Lucrezia Reichlin, 2010. "Non‐Standard Monetary Policy Measures," Working Papers ECARES ECARES 2010-040, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Giannone, Domenico & Lenza, Michele & Pill, Huw & Reichlin, Lucrezia, 2011. "Non-standard monetary policy measures and monetary developments," Working Paper Series 1290, European Central Bank.
- Eisenschmidt, Jens & Tapking, Jens, 2009. "Liquidity risk premia in unsecured interbank money markets," Working Paper Series 1025, European Central Bank.
- Mercier, Paul & Papadia, Francesco (ed.), 2011. "The Concrete Euro: Implementing Monetary Policy in the Euro Area," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199557523.
- Vasco Cúrdia & Michael Woodford, 2010.
"The central-bank balance sheet as an instrument of monetary policy,"
463, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Cúrdia, Vasco & Woodford, Michael, 2011. "The central-bank balance sheet as an instrument of monetarypolicy," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 58(1), pages 54-79, January.
- Vasco Curdia & Michael Woodford, 2010. "The Central-Bank Balance Sheet as an Instrument of Monetary Policy," NBER Working Papers 16208, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Michael Woodford & Vasco Curdia, 2010. "The Central Bank's Balance Sheet as an Instrument of Monetary Policy," 2010 Meeting Papers 136, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Vasco Curdia & Michael Woodford, 2010. "The Central Bank Balance Sheet as an Instrument of Monetary Policy," Discussion Papers 0910-16, Columbia University, Department of Economics.
- Vasco Curdia & Michael Woodford, . "The Central-Bank Balance Sheet as an Instrument of Monetary Policy," Discussion Papers 0910-19, Columbia University, Department of Economics.
- Renaud Beaupain & Alain Durré, 2011. "Inferring trading dynamics for an OTC market: the case of the euro area overnight money market," Quantitative Finance, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 11(9), pages 1285-1295, October.
- Paolo Angelini & Andrea Nobili & Cristina Picillo, 2011.
"The Interbank Market after August 2007: What Has Changed, and Why?,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 43(5), pages 923-958, 08.
- Paolo Angelini & Andrea Nobili & Maria Cristina Picillo, 2009. "The interbank market after August 2007: what has changed, and why?," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 731, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Florian Heider & Marie Hoerova, 2009.
"Interbank Lending, Credit-Risk Premia, and Collateral,"
International Journal of Central Banking,
International Journal of Central Banking, vol. 5(4), pages 5-43, December.
- Heider, Florian & Hoerova, Marie, 2009. "Interbank lending, credit risk premia and collateral," Working Paper Series 1107, European Central Bank.
- Yacine Aït-Sahalia & Jochen Andritzky & Andreas Jobst & Sylwia Nowak & Natalia Tamirisa, 2010.
"Market Response to Policy Initiatives during the Global Financial Crisis,"
NBER Working Papers
15809, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Aït-Sahalia, Yacine & Andritzky, Jochen & Jobst, Andreas & Nowak, Sylwia & Tamirisa, Natalia, 2012. "Market response to policy initiatives during the global financial crisis," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 87(1), pages 162-177.
- Vincent Brousseau & Alexandre Chailloux & Alain Durré, 2009. "Interbank Offered Rate: Effects of the financial crisis on the information content of the fixing," Working Papers 2009-ECO-10, IESEG School of Management.
- Beaupain, Renaud & Durré, Alain, 2012. "Nonlinear liquidity adjustments in the euro area overnight money market," Working Paper Series 1500, European Central Bank.
- Stephan Fahr & Roberto Motto & Massimo Rostagno & Frank Smets & Oreste Tristani, 2011. "Lessons for monetary policy strategies from the recent past," Chapters, European Central Bank.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Official Publications).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.