Evaluation of the Quality and Success Rate of Forecasts: A Historic Overview
In: Evaluation of the Fulfilment of the CNB's Inflation Targets 1998-2007
AbstractThe paper is aimed at the evaluation of quality and the success-rate of the past Czech National Bankâ€™s forecasts created from 2004 until mid-2006. It strives to identify the factors which have caused deviations from reality in the past forecasts and could contribute to non-fulfilment of the announced inflation target. There are three groups of factors, which have most often contributed to the overvaluation of the historical forecasts: ex post incorrect setting up of the equilibrium trajectories, non-fulfilment of some exogenous presumptions together with an influence of unexpected shocks, and inaccurate capture of some behavioural relationships within the model apparatus. According to a comparison of historical and adjusted forecasts against reality, forecasts produced during the reviewed period of time are diverted on average towards higher inflation, lower real growth, and more depreciated nominal exchange rate. Consistently, the implied trajectory of the interest rate is higher than reality. Nevertheless, the deviations of the basic macro-economic variables gradually decrease with the course of time.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
This chapter was published in:
This item is provided by Czech National Bank, Research Department in its series Occasional Publications - Chapters in Edited Volumes with number 07.
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Na Prikope 28, 115 03 Prague 1
Phone: 00420 2 2442 1111
Fax: 00420 2 2421 8522
Web page: http://www.cnb.cz/en/research/research_intro/
More information through EDIRC
Monetary policy; inflation target fulfilment; macroeconomic forecast; forecast deviation; Czech National Bank;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E17 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - General Aggregative Models - - - Forecasting and Simulation: Models and Applications
- E37 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Forecasting and Simulation: Models and Applications
- E58 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Monetary Policy, Central Banking, and the Supply of Money and Credit - - - Central Banks and Their Policies
- C60 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - General
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Juraj Antal & Michal Hlaváèek & Roman Horváth, 2008. "Do Central Bank Forecast Errors Contribute to the Missing of Inflation Targets? The Case of the Czech Republic," Czech Journal of Economics and Finance (Finance a uver), Charles University Prague, Faculty of Social Sciences, vol. 58(09-10), pages 434-453, December.
- Tomas Holub, 2008. "Causes of Deviations of Inflation from CNB Targets: An Empirical Analysis," Occasional Publications - Chapters in Edited Volumes, in: Katerina Smidkova (ed.), Evaluation of the Fulfilment of the CNB's Inflation Targets 1998-2007, chapter 4, pages 47-56 Czech National Bank, Research Department.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jan Babecky).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.