Banking, Financial Integration, and International Crises: An Overview
In: Banking, Financial Integration, and International Crises
AbstractThis paper summarizes new research on the relationship among institutions, financial development, economic growth, financial integration, and the likelihood of boom-bust cycles and banking crises. The first part of the paper reviews issues pertaining mainly to the banking sector, and summarizes new findings regarding banking regulation and supervision and the behavior of depositors and other market participants. New findings on the internationalization of banking, boom-bust cycles and macro-financial linkages during financial integration, the elements of international financial crises, and the role of capital controls to reduce macroeconomic vulnerability are reviewed in the second part of the paper.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
This chapter was published in: Leonardo Hernández & Klaus Schmidt-Hebbel & Norman Loayza (Series Editor) & Klaus Schmidt-Hebbel (Series Editor) (ed.) Banking, Financial Integration, and International Crises, , chapter 1, pages 001-030, 2002.
This item is provided by Central Bank of Chile in its series Central Banking, Analysis, and Economic Policies Book Series with number v03c01pp001-030.
Other versions of this item:
- Leonardo Hernández & Klaus Schmidt-Hebbel, 2001. "Banking, financial integration, and international crises : an overview," Working Papers Central Bank of Chile 100, Central Bank of Chile.
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Lili Xie, 2007. "Universal Banking, Conflicts of Interest and Firm Growth," Journal of Financial Services Research, Springer, vol. 32(3), pages 177-202, December.
- Lili Xie, 2007. "Universal Banking, Conflicts of Interest and Firm Growth," Working Papers 200703, Ball State University, Department of Economics, revised Jul 2007.
- Gourinchas, Pierre-Olivier & Obstfeld, Maurice, 2011.
"Stories of the Twentieth Century for the Twenty-First,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
8518, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Pierre-Olivier Gourinchas & Maurice Obstfeld, 2012. "Stories of the Twentieth Century for the Twenty-First," American Economic Journal: Macroeconomics, American Economic Association, vol. 4(1), pages 226-65, January.
- Pierre-Olivier Gourinchas & Maurice Obstfeld, 2011. "Stories of the Twentieth Century for the Twenty-First," NBER Working Papers 17252, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Claudio Sepulveda).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.