Applying CoVaR to measure systemic market risk: the Colombian case
In: Proceedings of the IFC Conference on "Initiatives to address data gaps revealed by the financial crisis", Basel, 25-26 August 2010
AbstractIn Colombia, the exposition to market risk has increased significantly since 2009. Nonetheless, the risk codependence among agents has not been analyzed yet from the perspective of this risk. Therefore, this paper presents an approach to estimate such relevance based on CoVaR and quantile regressions. This methodology is flexible enough to allow the estimation of the systemic market risk contribution of banks, pension funds, and between different types of financial institutions. Results suggest that risk codependence among entities increases during distress periods.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
This chapter was published in:
This item is provided by Bank for International Settlements in its series IFC Bulletins chapters with number 34-23.
Other versions of this item:
- Mauricio Arias & Juan Carlos Mendoza & David Pérez-Reyna, . "Applying CoV aR to Measure Systemic Market Risk: the Colombian Case," Temas de Estabilidad Financiera 047, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Qua - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - - - -
- Reg - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - - - -
- Cla - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - - - -
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hartmann, P. & Straetmans, S. & De Vries, C.G., 2001.
"Asset Market Linkages in Crisis Periods,"
71, Quebec a Montreal - Recherche en gestion.
- P. Hartmann & S. Straetmans & C.G. de Vries, 2001. "Asset Market Linkages in Crisis Periods," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 01-071/2, Tinbergen Institute.
- Hartmann, Philipp & Straetmans, Stefan & de Vries, Casper, 2001. "Asset market linkages in crisis periods," Working Paper Series 0071, European Central Bank.
- de Vries, Casper G & Hartmann, Philipp & Straetmans, Stefan, 2001. "Asset Market Linkages in Crisis Periods," CEPR Discussion Papers 2916, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Jorge A. Chan-Lau & Donald J. Mathieson & James Y. Yao, 2004.
"Extreme Contagion in Equity Markets,"
IMF Staff Papers,
Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 51(2), pages 8.
- Celine Gauthier & Alfred Lehar & Moez Souissi, 2010. "Macroprudential Regulation and Systemic Capital Requirements," Working Papers 10-4, Bank of Canada.
- Furfine, Craig H, 2003. " Interbank Exposures: Quantifying the Risk of Contagion," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 35(1), pages 111-28, February.
- Oscar Martínez A. & Jorge Mario Uribe Gil, . "Una aproximación dinámica a la medición del riesgo de mercado para los bancos comerciales en Colombia," Temas de Estabilidad Financiera 031, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Alejandro Reveiz & Carlos Eduardo León Rincón, .
"Índice representativo del mercado de deuda pública interna: IDXTES,"
Borradores de Economia
488, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Alejandro Reveiz Herault & Carlos Eduardo León Rincón, 2008. "Índice representativo del mercado de deuda pública interna: IDXTES," BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA 004522, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Acharya, Viral V., 2009.
"A Theory of Systemic Risk and Design of Prudential Bank Regulation,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
7164, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Acharya, Viral V., 2009. "A theory of systemic risk and design of prudential bank regulation," Journal of Financial Stability, Elsevier, vol. 5(3), pages 224-255, September.
- Rochet, Jean-Charles & Tirole, Jean, 1996.
"Interbank Lending and Systemic Risk,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 28(4), pages 733-62, November.
- Mariana Laverde & Javier Gutiérrez Rueda, . "¿Cómo caracterizar entidades sistémicas?: Medidas de impacto sistémico para el sistema financiero colombiano," Temas de Estabilidad Financiera 065, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Natasha Agarwal et al, 2013. "A Systematic approach to identify systemically important firms," Indira Gandhi Institute of Development Research, Mumbai Working Papers 2013-021, Indira Gandhi Institute of Development Research, Mumbai, India.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Timo Laurmaa).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.