Economic Development and Multilateral Trade Cooperation
AbstractHow can international trade agreements promote development and how can rules be designed to benefit poor countries? Can multilateral trade cooperation in the World Trade Organization (WTO) help developing countries create and strengthen institutions and regulatory regimes that will enhance the gains from trade and integration into the global economy? And should this even be done? These are questions that confront policy makers and citizens in both rich and poor countries, and they are the subject of this publication. It analyzes how the trading system could be made more supportive of economic development, without eroding the core WTO functions.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoThis book is provided by The World Bank in its series World Bank Publications with number 7412 and published in 2006.
Law and Development - Trade Law International Economics and Trade - Trade and Regional Integration International Economics and Trade - Free Trade International Economics and Trade - Trade Policy Economic Theory and Research Macroeconomics and Economic Growth;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bernard Hoekman, 1997. "Competition Policy and the Global Trading System," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 20(4), pages 383-406, 07.
- Hoekman, Bernard & Saggi, Kamal, 2003.
"Trading Market Access for Competition Policy Enforcement,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
4110, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Hoekman, Bernard & Saggi, Kamal, 2004. "Trading market access for competition policy enforcement," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3188, The World Bank.
- Bernard M. Hoekman & Petros C. Mavroidis, 1994.
"Competition, Competition Policy and the GATT,"
The World Economy,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 17(2), pages 121-150, 03.
- Hoekman, Bernard M. & Mavroidis, Petros C. & DEC, 1993. "Competition, competition policy, and the GATT," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1228, The World Bank.
- Hoekman, Bernard & Mavroidis, Petros C, 1994. "Competition, Competition Policy and the GATT," CEPR Discussion Papers 876, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Simeon Djankov & Bernard Hoekman, 1998.
"Conditions of Competition and Multilateral Surveillance,"
The World Economy,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 21(8), pages 1109-1128, November.
- Djankov, Simeon & Hoekman, Bernard, 1998. "Conditions of Competition and Multilateral Surveillance," CEPR Discussion Papers 1988, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Carsten Fink & Aaditya Mattoo & Ileana Cristina Neagu, 2002.
"Trade in International Maritime Services: How Much Does Policy Matter?,"
World Bank Economic Review,
World Bank Group, vol. 16(1), pages 81-108, June.
- Fink, Carsten & Mattoo, Aaditya & Neagu, Ileana Cristina, 2001. "Trade in international maritime services : how much does policy matter?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2522, The World Bank.
- Abbott, Kenneth W. & Snidal, Duncan, 2000. "Hard and Soft Law in International Governance," International Organization, Cambridge University Press, vol. 54(03), pages 421-456, June.
- Horn, Henrik & Levinsohn, James, 2001.
"Merger Policies and Trade Liberalisation,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 111(470), pages 244-76, April.
- Horn, Henrik & Levinsohn, James A, 2000. "Merger Policies And Trade Liberalization," CEPR Discussion Papers 2459, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Henrik Horn & James Levinsohn, 1997. "Merger Policies and Trade Liberalization," NBER Working Papers 6077, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Horn, H. & Levinsohn, J., 1998. "Merger Policies and Trade Liberalization," Working Papers 420, Research Seminar in International Economics, University of Michigan.
- Charles Sabel & Sanjay Reddy, 2007. "Learning to Learn: Undoing the Gordian Knot of Development Today," Challenge, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 50(5), pages 73-92, October.
- Kamal Saggi & Halis Murat Yildiz, 2006. "On the International Linkages between Trade and Merger Policies," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 14(2), pages 212-225, 05.
- Hoekman, Bernard & Vines, David, 2007.
"Multilateral Trade Cooperation: What Next?,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
6458, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Breineder).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.