Deeper Integration and Trade in Services in the Euro-Mediterranean Region : Southern Dimensions of the European Neighborhood Policy
AbstractDeeper economic integration with the enlarged European Union - which accounts for a quarter of global GDP and foreign direct investment - could become a main driver for economic development in the southern Mediterranean countries. The planned Euro-Mediterranean free trade area for goods is a first step into that direction, but additional measures are needed. Especially the liberalization of services trade and the comprehensive domestic reforms this entails would strengthen the linkages with global and European markets. This study analyzes the adjustment needs and policy options associated with deeper integration between the two sides of the Mediterranean Sea. It puts specific emphasis on the dynamics of deeper integration at the company level and their respective policy implications. Besides a general discussion of deeper integration and trade in services liberalization, the study contains detailed assessments of individual sectors - especially the backbone services (e.g. transport, telecommunications, financial markets, electricity) and other sectors of relevance for deeper integration (tourism, IT-enabled services, distribution services). Even though the focus is on regional integration, multilateral liberalization issues are factored into the analysis (e.g. the GATS, the WTO Doha Round) and options for the pursuit of an "open regionalism" are explore.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoThis book is provided by The World Bank in its series World Bank Publications with number 7335 and published in 2005.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mattoo, Aaditya, 1999. "Financial services and the World Trade Organization - liberalization commitments of the developing and transition economies," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2184, The World Bank.
- Mattoo, Aaditya & Fink, Carsten, 2002. "Regional agreements and trade services - policy issues," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2852, The World Bank.
- Fink, Carsten & Mattoo, Aaditya & Rathindran, Randeep, 2003.
"An assessment of telecommunications reform in developing countries,"
Information Economics and Policy, Elsevier,
Elsevier, vol. 15(4), pages 443-466, December.
- Fink, Carsten & Mattoo, Aaditya & Rathindran, Randeep, 2002. "An assessment of telecommunications reform in developing countries," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2909, The World Bank.
- Grais, Wafik & Kantur, Zeynep, 2003. "The changing financial landscape : opportunities and challenges for the Middle East and North Africa," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3050, The World Bank.
- Peter A. Petri, 1997. "Trade Strategies for the Southern Mediterranean," OECD Development Centre Working Papers 127, OECD Publishing.
- Fink, Carsten & Mattoo, Aaditya & Neagu, Ileana Cristina, 2002.
"Assessing the impact of communication costs on international trade,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
2929, The World Bank.
- Fink, Carsten & Mattoo, Aaditya & Neagu, Ileana Cristina, 2005. "Assessing the impact of communication costs on international trade," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 67(2), pages 428-445, December.
- Hoekman, Bernard & Konan, Denise Eby, 1999.
"Deep integration, nondiscrimination, and Euro-Mediterranean free trade,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
2130, The World Bank.
- Hoekman, Bernard & Konan, Denise, 1999. "Deep Integration, Non-Discrimination and Euro-Mediterranean Free Trade," CEPR Discussion Papers, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers 2095, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Stanley Fischer & Mohamed A. El-Erian, 1996. "Is MENA a Region? The Scope for Regional Integration," IMF Working Papers 96/30, International Monetary Fund.
- David de Ferranti & Guillermo E. Perry & Daniel Lederman & William E. Maloney, 2002. "From Natural Resources to the Knowledge Economy : Trade and Job Quality," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 14040, October.
- M. Ayhan Kose & Kenneth Rogoff & Eswar Prasad & Shang-Jin Wei, 2003. "Effects of Financial Globalization on Developing Countries," IMF Occasional Papers 220, International Monetary Fund.
- Sally Baden, 2002. "Trade Policy, Retail Markets and Value Chain Restructuring in the EU Clothing Sector," PRUS Working Papers, Poverty Research Unit at Sussex, University of Sussex 09, Poverty Research Unit at Sussex, University of Sussex.
- Daniel Muller-Jentsch, 2001. "The Development of Electricity Markets in the Euro-Mediterranean Area : Trends and Prospects for Liberalization and Regional Integration," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 13910, August.
- Patrick Honohan & Daniela Klingebiel, 2000. "Controlling fiscal costs of banking crises," Proceedings 682, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Nico Valckx, 2002. "WTO Financial Services Commitments," IMF Working Papers 02/214, International Monetary Fund.
- Luc De Wulf & Emile Finateau, 2002. "Best Practices in Customs Reform - Lessons from Morocco," World Bank Other Operational Studies 11352, The World Bank.
- Rupa Chanda, 2001. "Movement of Natural Persons and the GATS," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 24(5), pages 631-654, 05.
- Honohan, Patrick & Klingebiel, Daniela, 2000. "Controlling the fiscal costs of banking crises," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2441, The World Bank.
- Bjorn Wellenius & Carlo Maria Rossotto, 1999. "Introducing Telecommunications Competition through a Wireless License : Lessons from Morocco," World Bank Other Operational Studies 11449, The World Bank.
- Kaminski, Bartlomiej & Ng, Francis, 2001. "Trade and production fragmentation : Central European economies in European Union networks of production and marketing," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2611, The World Bank.
- Warrick Smith, 1997. "Utility Regulators : The Independence Debate," World Bank Other Operational Studies 11570, The World Bank.
- Damien Geradin, 2004. "Competition Law and Regional Economic Integration : An Analysis of the Southern Mediterranean Countries," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 14940, August.
- Mohammad A. Mustafa, 2002. "Benchmarking Regulators : Making Telecom Regulators More Effective in the Middle East," World Bank Other Operational Studies 11342, The World Bank.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Breineder).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.