Are You Being Served? New Tools for Measuring Services Delivery
AbstractThis volume provides an overview of a range of tools for measuring service delivery and offers valuable lessons on the opportunities and constraints practitioners face in measuring performance. The authors investigate country cases using data from a range of sources in a variety of contexts. Their experiences yield important insights on how to avoid pitfalls, what practices to improve, and how to learn the most from the data at hand. Taken together, those lessons represent an important step in strengthening accountability and governance so as to enhance service delivery. Empirical investigations of the relationship between particular characteristics of the public provisioning of goods and services at the local level and the characteristics of the localities receiving these goods and services may help us understand the impact of policy and learn to design more effective public interventions. Monitoring data are an integral part of the process of learning about the performance of any social program. Many impact evaluations of social programs assume that the interventions occur at specified launch dates and produce equal and constant changes in conditions among eligible beneficiary groups.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoThis book is provided by The World Bank in its series World Bank Publications with number 6921 and published in 2008.
Finance and Financial Sector Development - Financial Intermediation Macroeconomics and Economic Growth - Investment and Investment Climate Law and Development - Settlement of Investment Disputes Economic Theory and Research;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Fiszbein, Ariel & Ringold, Dena & Rogers, F. Halsey, 2011. "Making services work : indicators, assessments, and benchmarking of the quality and governance of public service delivery in the human development sectors," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5690, The World Bank.
- Diagne, Mame Fatou & Ringold, Dena & Zaidi, Salman, 2012. "Governance and public service delivery in Europe and Central Asia : unofficial payments, utilization and satisfaction," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5994, The World Bank.
- Margaret Koziol & Courtney Tolmie, 2010. "Using Public Expenditure Tracking Surveys to Monitor Projects and Small-Scale Programs : A Guidebook," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 2502, October.
- Jere R. Behrman & Jorge Gallardo-García & Susan W. Parker & Petra E. Todd & Viviana Vélez-Grajales, 2012.
"Are conditional cash transfers effective in urban areas? Evidence from Mexico,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 20(3), pages 233-259, February.
- Jere R. Behrman & Jorge Gallardo-Garcia & Susan W. Parker & Petra E. Todd & Viviana Velez-Grajales, 2011. "Are Conditional Cash Transfers Effective in Urban Areas? Evidence from Mexico," PIER Working Paper Archive 11-024, Penn Institute for Economic Research, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania.
- Wodon, Quentin, 2013. "Faith-inspired, Private Secular, and Public Schools in sub-Saharan Africa: Market Share, Reach to the Poor, Cost, and Satisfaction," MPRA Paper 45363, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Tomas Lievens & Pieter Serneels, 2008.
"Institutions for Health Care Delivery A Formal Exploration of what Matters to Health Workers Evidence from Rwanda,"
Economics Series Working Papers
WPS/2008-29, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Pieter Serneels & Tomas Lievens, 2008. "Institutions for Health Care Delivery: A Formal Exploration of What Matters to Health Workers Evidence from Rwanda," CSAE Working Paper Series 2008-29, Centre for the Study of African Economies, University of Oxford.
- Macours, Karen & Schady, Norbert & Vakis, Renos, 2008.
"Cash transfers, behavioral changes, and cognitive development in early childhood : evidence from a randomized experiment,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
4759, The World Bank.
- Karen Macours & Norbert Schady & Renos Vakis, 2012. "Cash Transfers, Behavioral Changes, and Cognitive Development in Early Childhood: Evidence from a Randomized Experiment," American Economic Journal: Applied Economics, American Economic Association, vol. 4(2), pages 247-73, April.
- Karen Macours & Norbert Schady & Renos Vakis, 2012. "Cash Transfers, Behavioral Changes, and Cognitive Development in Early Childhood: Evidence from a Randomized Experiment," IDB Publications 62638, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Karen Macours & Norbert Schady & Renos Vakis, 2011. "Cash Transfers, Behavioral Changes, and Cognitive Development in Early Childhood: Evidence from a Randomized Experiment," Working Papers 2011-007, Human Capital and Economic Opportunity Working Group.
- Esther Duflo & Pascaline Dupas & Michael Kremer, 2012. "School Governance, Teacher Incentives, and Pupil-Teacher Ratios: Experimental Evidence from Kenyan Primary Schools," NBER Working Papers 17939, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Maureen Lewis & Marijn Verhoeven, 2010. "Financial Crises and Social Spending : The Impact of the 2008-2009 Crisis," World Bank Other Operational Studies 12965, The World Bank.
- Caroline Freund & Elena Ianchovichina, 2012.
"Infrastructure and Employment Creation in the Middle East and North Africa,"
World Bank Other Operational Studies
10853, The World Bank.
- Antonio Estache & Elena Ianchovichina & Robert Bacon & Ilhem Salamon, 2013. "Infrastructure and Employment Creation in the Middle East and North Africa," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 12237, October.
- Dasgupta, Basab & Narayan, Ambar & Skoufias, Emmanuel, 2009. "Measuring the quality of education and health services : the use of perception data from Indonesia," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5033, The World Bank.
- Jere R. Behrman & Maria Cecilia Calderon & Olivia S. Mitchell & Javiera Vasquez & David Bravo, 2011. "First-Round Impacts of the 2008 Chilean Pension System Reform," Working Papers wp245, University of Michigan, Michigan Retirement Research Center.
- Guillermo Perry & Ramona Angelescu, 2013. "Building a culture of accountability in service delivery. An overview of results of the GDN project on Varieties of Governance in Service Delivery," DOCUMENTOS CEDE 011930, UNIVERSIDAD DE LOS ANDES-CEDE.
- Todd, Petra E., 2012. "Effectiveness of interventions aimed at improving women's employability and quality of work : a critical review," Policy Research Working Paper Series 6189, The World Bank.
- Ianchovichina, Elena & Estache, Antonio & Foucart, Renaud & Garsous, Grégoire & Yepes, Tito, 2013.
"Job Creation through Infrastructure Investment in the Middle East and North Africa,"
Elsevier, vol. 45(C), pages 209-222.
- Ianchovichina, Elena & Estache, Antonio & Foucart, Renaud & Garsous, Gregoire & Yepes, Tito, 2012. "Job creation through infrastructure investment in the Middle East and North Africa," Policy Research Working Paper Series 6164, The World Bank.
- World Bank, 2011. "Sudan - Public Expenditure Tracking Survey (PETS) : Case Study of the Health Sector," World Bank Other Operational Studies 12265, The World Bank.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Breineder).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.