Nutritional Failure in Ecuador : Causes, Consequences, and Solutions
AbstractThis study supports the development of a more coherent and effective nutrition strategy in Ecuador through an analysis of the main nutrition issues, based on in-depth statistical analysis of a large new household survey dataset (ENDEMAIN 2004) and other data sources, together with a review of qualitative evidence regarding behavioral and program-access obstacles to improved nutritional outcomes. It also reviews the existing programs and policies which aim to improve nutritional outcomes, considered the available evidence on the efficiency, effectiveness, targeting and inter-programmatic coherence of the programs and projects reviewed and suggests an agenda for policy discussions to improve these outcomes.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoThis book is provided by The World Bank in its series World Bank Publications with number 6651 and published in 2007.
Health Monitoring and Evaluation Health; Nutrition and Population - Nutrition Health; Nutrition and Population - Population Policies Poverty Reduction - Rural Poverty Reduction Early Child and Children's Health Health; Nutrition and Population;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Christiaensen, Luc & Alderman, Harold, 2004. "Child Malnutrition in Ethiopia: Can Maternal Knowledge Augment the Role of Income?," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 52(2), pages 287-312, January.
- Hentschel, Jesko & Waters, William F. & Vandever Webb, Anna Kathryn, 1996. "Rural poverty in Ecuador : a qualitative assessment," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1576, The World Bank.
- Rolando Morales & Ana María Aguilar & Alvaro Calzadilla, 2005. "Undernutrition in Bolivia: Geography and Culture Matter," Research Department Publications 3185, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Strauss, John & Thomas, Duncan, 1995. "Human resources: Empirical modeling of household and family decisions," Handbook of Development Economics, in: Hollis Chenery & T.N. Srinivasan (ed.), Handbook of Development Economics, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 34, pages 1883-2023 Elsevier.
- Lavy, V & Strauss, J & Thomas, D & de Vreyer, P, 1996.
"Quality of Health Care, Survivial and Health Outcomes in Ghana,"
96-20, RAND - Reprint Series.
- Lavy, Victor & Strauss, John & Thomas, Duncan & de Vreyer, Philippe, 1996. "Quality of health care, survival and health outcomes in Ghana," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(3), pages 333-357, June.
- Garrett, James L. & Ruel, Marie T., 2003.
"Stunted child - overweight mother pairs,"
148, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Burgard, Sarah, 2004. "Race and pregnancy-related care in Brazil and South Africa," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 59(6), pages 1127-1146, September.
- Larrea Carlos & Montalvo Pedro & Ricaurte Ana, 2005.
"Child Malnutrition, Social Development and Health Services in the Andean Region,"
- Carlos Larrea & Pedro Montalvo & Ana María Ricaurte, 2005. "Child Malnutrition, Social Development and Health Services in the Andean Region," Research Department Publications 3189, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Patricio Marquez & Willy de Geyndt, 2003. "Mexico : Reaching the Poor with Basic Health Services," World Bank Other Operational Studies 10391, The World Bank.
- Gary S. Becker, 1981. "A Treatise on the Family," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number beck81-1.
- Haddad, Lawrence James & Alderman, Harold & Appleton, Simon & Song, Lina & Yohannes, Yisehac, 2002.
"Reducing child undernutrition,"
FCND discussion papers
137, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Alderman, Harold & Hoogeveen, Hans & Rossi, Mariacristina, 2005.
"Reducing child malnutrition in Tanzania - combined effects of income growth and program interventions,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
3567, The World Bank.
- Alderman, Harold & Hoogeveen, Hans & Rossi, Mariacristina, 2006. "Reducing child malnutrition in Tanzania: Combined effects of income growth and program interventions," Economics & Human Biology, Elsevier, vol. 4(1), pages 1-23, January.
- Marini, Alessandra & Gragnolati, Michele, 2006. "Nonlinear effects of altitude on child growth in Peru : a multilevel analysis," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3823, The World Bank.
- Christina Paxson & Norbert Schady, 2007.
"Cognitive Development among Young Children in Ecuador: The Roles of Wealth, Health, and Parenting,"
Journal of Human Resources,
University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 42(1).
- Paxson, Christina & Schady, Norbert, 2005. "Cognitive development among young children in Ecuador : the roles of wealth, health and parenting," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3605, The World Bank.
- Moock, Peter R. & Leslie, Joanne, 1986. "Childhood malnutrition and schooling in the Terai region of Nepal," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 33-52.
- Horton, Susan, 1986. "Child nutrition and family size in the Philippines," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 161-176, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Breineder).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.