Global Economic Prospects 2009 : Commodities at the Crossroads
AbstractThe release of this year's global economic prospects finds the world economy at a crossroads. Markets all over the world are engulfed in a global economic crisis, with stock markets sharply down and volatile, almost all currencies having depreciated substantially against the dollar, and risk premiums on a wide range of debt having increased by 600 or more basis points. Commodity markets too have turned a corner. Following several years of increase, prices have plummeted, and although well above their 1990s levels, they have given up most of the increases of the past 24 months. Chapter one of this report examines the medium-term implications of this crisis for developing-country growth, inflation, and world trade. Chapter two looks at longer-term supply and demand prospects in commodity markets. It takes into account the long-term growth prospects of developing countries and their rising share in world GDP (gross domestic product), the declining quality of new pools of resources, and the influence of technology on both demand and supply. Finally, chapter three reports on the poverty impacts of high commodity prices and examines the effectiveness of policies in both producing and consuming countries in dealing with the challenges posed by periodic bouts of high commodity prices.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoThis book is provided by The World Bank in its series World Bank Publications with number 2581 and published in 2009.
Finance and Financial Sector Development - Currencies and Exchange Rates Macroeconomics and Economic Growth - Economic Theory & Research Finance and Financial Sector Development - Financial Literacy Private Sector Development - Emerging Markets Finance and Financial Sector Development - Debt Markets;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Arbache, Jorge Saba & Page, John, 2007. "More growth or fewer collapses ? a new look at long run growth in Sub-Saharan Africa," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4384, The World Bank.
- World Bank & the People’s Republic of China Development Research Center of the State Council, 2013. "China 2030 : Building a Modern, Harmonious, and Creative Society," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 12925, October.
- World Bank, 2009. "Protecting the Poor During the Global Crisis : 2009 Bosnia and Herzegovina Poverty update," World Bank Other Operational Studies 3148, The World Bank.
- Barbier, Edward B., 2010.
"Global governance: the G20 and a Global Green New Deal,"
Economics - The Open-Access, Open-Assessment E-Journal,
Kiel Institute for the World Economy, vol. 4(2), pages 1-35.
- Barbier, Edward B., 2009. "Global governance: the G20 and a Global Green New Deal," Economics Discussion Papers 2009-38, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Headey, Derek & Malaiyandi, Sangeetha & Fan, Shenggen, 2009.
"Navigating the perfect storm: Reflections on the food, energy, and financial crises,"
IFPRI discussion papers
889, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Derek Headey & Sangeetha Malaiyandi & Shenggen Fan, 2010. "Navigating the perfect storm: reflections on the food, energy, and financial crises," Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 41(s1), pages 217-228, November.
- Headey, Derek D. & Malaiyandi, Sangeetha & Fan, Shenggen, 2009. "Navigating the Perfect Storm: Reflections on the Food, Energy, and Financial Crises," 2009 Conference, August 16-22, 2009, Beijing, China 53212, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Oehler-Sincai, Iulia Monica, 2009.
"Comerţul exterior al ţărilor BRIC în perioada 1997-2008. Perspective
[The external trade of the BRICs during 1997-2008. Perspectives]," MPRA Paper 17237, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Berazneva, Julia & Lee, David R., 2013. "Explaining the African food riots of 2007–2008: An empirical analysis," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(C), pages 28-39.
- repec:fpr:ifprib:2012ghifrench is not listed on IDEAS
- Marga Peeters & Ronald Albers, 2013.
"Food Prices, Government Subsidies and Fiscal Balances in South Mediterranean Countries,"
Development Policy Review,
Overseas Development Institute, vol. 31(3), pages 273-290, 05.
- Peeters, Marga & Albers, Ronald, 2011. "Food prices, government subsidies and fiscal balances in south Mediterranean countries," MPRA Paper 37707, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 20 Mar 2012.
- von Grebmer, Klaus & Ringler, Claudia & Rosegrant, Mark W. & Olofinbiyi, Tolulope & Wiesmann, Doris & Fritschel, Heidi & Badiane, Ousmane & Torero, Maximo & Yohannes, Yisehac & Thompson, Jennifer & vo, 2012. "2012 Indice de la faim dans le monde:: Relever le defi de la faim: Assurer une sÃ©curitÃ© alimentaire durable dan un monde sous contraintes en eau, en Ã©nergie et en terres," IFPRI books, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI), number 2012 GHI French.
- Baffes, John & Dennis, Allen, 2013. "Long-term drivers of food prices," Policy Research Working Paper Series 6455, The World Bank.
- Blanca Moreno-Dodson, 2013. "Is Fiscal Policy the Answer? A Developing Country Perspective," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 13086.
- repec:fpr:export:2012ghifrench is not listed on IDEAS
- von Grebmer, Klaus & Ringler, Claudia & Rosegrant, Mark W. & Olofinbiyi, Tolulope & Wiesmann, Doris & Fritschel, Heidi & Badiane, Ousmane & Torero, Maximo & Yohannes, Yisehac & Thompson, Jennifer & vo, 2012. "2012 Indice de la faim dans le monde:: Relever le defi de la faim: Assurer une sécurité alimentaire durable dan un monde sous contraintes en eau, en énergie et en terres," Research reports 2012ghifrench, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Arvind Subramanian & Martin Kessler, 2013. "The Hyperglobalization of Trade and Its Future," Working Paper Series WP13-7, Peterson Institute for International Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Breineder).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.