Privatization and Regulation of Transport Infrastructure : Guidelines for Policymakers and Regulators
AbstractThe 1990s saw a dramatic increase in the liberalization of transport policies and a strengthening of the role played by private operators and investors in transport infrastructure. Most of these reforming countries are creating new regulatory agencies. This book aims is to contribute to the development of these regulatory skills. The book has two parts. Chapter 2 in the first part provides an overview of why economic regulation is important. It provides theoretical support to the sector-specific chapters that constitute the second part of the book. The second part covers four subsectors: airports, ports, railways, and roads. Each chapter follows exactly the same structure. The first section provides snapshot of the key economic characteristics of the sector and discusses their relevance from the viewpoint of a regulator. The second section summarizes the main privatization and regulation trends that have been observed in the sector. It gives an overview of main options offered by international experience and covers a few case studies that illustrate those options. The third section covers price regulation and highlights the price-related issues that characterize the sector. The fourth section does the same for quality regulation. The fifth section discusses the main performance indicators that the sector's regulators should be able to rely on to be effective in their jobs.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoThis book is provided by The World Bank in its series World Bank Publications with number 15199 and published in 2000-06.
Banks and Banking Reform Environmental Economics and Policies Health Economics and Finance Urban Development - Municipal Financial Management Public Sector Economics and Finance Health; Nutrition and Population;
Other versions of this item:
- Antonio Estache & Ginés de Rus, 2000. "Privatization and Regulation of Transport Infrastructures: Guidelines for Policymakers and Regulators," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/44116, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Trujillo, Lourdes & Quinet, Emile & Estache, Antonio, 2000. "Forecasting the demand for privatized transport - What economic regulators should know, and why," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2446, The World Bank.
- Louis S. Thompson & Karim-Jacques Budin, 1997. "Global Trend to Railway Concessions Delivering Positive Results," World Bank Other Operational Studies 11563, The World Bank.
- Daniel Albalate & Germa Bel, 2007.
"Regulating Concessions of Toll Motorways, An Empirical Study on Fixed vs. Variable Term Contracts,"
IREA Working Papers
200706, University of Barcelona, Research Institute of Applied Economics, revised Mar 2007.
- Albalate, Daniel & Bel, Germà, 2009. "Regulating concessions of toll motorways: An empirical study on fixed vs. variable term contracts," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 43(2), pages 219-229, February.
- Ahmadzadeh Mashinchi, Sina, 2010. "The impact of the global economic crisis on non-oil operations of ports in Iran," MPRA Paper 38100, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Pollitt, M. & Smith, A.S.J., 2001.
"The Restructuring and Privatisation of British Rail: Was it really that bad?,"
Cambridge Working Papers in Economics
0118, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Michael G. Pollitt & Andrew S. J. Smith, 2002. "The restructuring and privatisation of British Rail: was it really that bad?," Fiscal Studies, Institute for Fiscal Studies, vol. 23(4), pages 463-502, December.
- Daniel Albalate & Germa Bel, 2008. "Motorways, tolls and road safety.Evidence from European Panel Data," IREA Working Papers 200802, University of Barcelona, Research Institute of Applied Economics, revised Feb 2008.
- Antonio Estache & Tomas Serebrisky, 2004.
"Where do We Stand on Transport Infrastructure Deregulation and Public-Private Partnerships?,"
ULB Institutional Repository
2013/44096, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Estache, Antonio & Serebrisky, Tomas, 2004. "Where do we stand on transport infrastructure deregulation and public-private partnership?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3356, The World Bank.
- Jorge Montesinos & Eduardo Saavedra, 2012. "Algunos Alcances en torno a la Institucionalidad y Renegociación de Concesiones en la Infraestructura de Transporte de Uso Público en Perú," ILADES-Georgetown University Working Papers inv277, Ilades-Georgetown University, Universidad Alberto Hurtado/School of Economics and Bussines.
- J. Luis Guasch, 2004. "Granting and Renegotiating Infrastructure Concessions : Doing it Right," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 15024, October.
- Serebrisky, Tomas, 2003. "The role of advocacy in competition policy : the case of the Argentine gasoline market," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3130, The World Bank.
- Cheon, SangHyun, 2007. "World Port Institutions and Productivity: Roles of Ownership, Corporate Structure, and Inter-port Competition," University of California Transportation Center, Working Papers qt7t64h5wr, University of California Transportation Center.
- Javier Campos, 2002. "Competition issues in network industries: the Latin American railways experience," Brazilian Electronic Journal of Economics, Department of Economics, Universidade Federal de Pernambuco, vol. 5(1), May.
- Rivasplata, Charles Richard, 2006. "An Analysis of the Impacts of British Transport Reforms on Transit Integration in the Metropolitan Areas," University of California Transportation Center, Working Papers qt4r88443j, University of California Transportation Center.
- Chris Nash & Esko Niskanen, 2000. "Helsinki Workshop on Infrastructure Charging on Railways 31 July - 1 August, 2000," Discussion Papers 245, Government Institute for Economic Research Finland (VATT).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Breineder).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.