The Institutional Economics of Water : A Cross-Country Analysis of Institutions and Performance
AbstractThis book provides a detailed and comprehensive evaluation of water reform and water sector performance from the perspectives of institutional economics and political economy. It integrates institutional theory with resource economics, and set against an exhaustive review of the theoretical and empirical literature, the authors develop an alternative methodology to quantitatively assess the performance of institutions in the context of water. This methodology is built on the principle of 'institutional ecology', the 'institutional decomposition and analysis' framework, and the 'subjective theory' of institutional change. Using this new methodology, plus information collected through an international survey of 127 water experts, the authors present a detailed empirical analysis of the process of institution-performance interaction in the water sector. Relying on the institutional transaction cost approach and an extensive cross-country review of recent water sector reforms, they also provide evidence on the relative role of various factors that influence the extent and depth of water institutional reforms in 43 countries and regions around the world. The book concludes with far reaching implications for the theory and policy of water sector reform in particular and institutional reform in general.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoThis book is provided by The World Bank in its series World Bank Publications with number 14884 and published in 2004.
Water Resources - Water and Industry Environmental Economics and Policies Water Supply and Sanitation - Town Water Supply and Sanitation Water Supply and Sanitation - Water Supply and Sanitation Governance and Institutions Water Resources - Water Conservation;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Jean-Michel Glachant, 2012.
"Regulating Networks in the New Economy,"
Review of Economics and Institutions,
Università di Perugia, vol. 3(1).
- Jean-Michel Glachant, 2009. "Regulating Networks in the New Economy," RSCAS Working Papers 2009/05, European University Institute.
- Jean-Michel Glachant, 2009. "Regulating Networks in the New Economy," EUI-RSCAS Working Papers 5, European University Institute (EUI), Robert Schuman Centre of Advanced Studies (RSCAS).
- Dinar, Ariel, 2012. "Economy-wide implications of direct and indirect policy interventions in the water sector: lessons from recent work and future research needs," Policy Research Working Paper Series 6068, The World Bank.
- Antonio Estache & L. Wren-Lewis, 2008. "Towards a Theory of Regulation for Developing Countries: Following Laffont's Lead," Working Papers ECARES 2008_018, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- David Pannell & Deborah Peterson & Bob Lindner, 2006.
"Special issue on water economics and policy,"
Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics,
Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 50(3), pages 269-270, 09.
- Pannell, David J. & Peterson, Deborah C. & Lindner, Robert K., 2006. "Special issue on water economics and policy," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 50(3), September.
- Khan, Shahbaz & Hanjra, Munir A., 2009. "Footprints of water and energy inputs in food production - Global perspectives," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(2), pages 130-140, April.
- Saleth, R. Maria & Dinar, Ariel, 2009. "The Impact of Multiple Policy Interventions on Food Security," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 31(6), pages 923-938, November.
- Felgendreher, Simon & Lehmann, Paul, 2012. "The political economy of the peruvian urban water sector," UFZ Discussion Papers 18/2012, Helmholtz Centre for Environmental Research (UFZ), Division of Social Sciences (ÖKUS).
- Lee, Cassey, 2011. "Privatization, water access and affordability: Evidence from Malaysian household expenditure data," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 28(5), pages 2121-2128, September.
- Jian Xie, 2009. "Addressing China's Water Scarcity : Recommendations for Selected Water Resource Management Issues," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 2585, March.
- Shi, Tian, 2006. "Enhancing the capacity of Australian irrigation industry through better policy making: what can we learn from the past?," 2006 Conference (50th), February 8-10, 2006, Sydney, Australia 139902, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- Jensen, Olivia & Blanc-Brude, Frederic, 2006. "The handshake : why do governments and firms sign private sector participation deals ? Evidence from the water and sanitation sector in developing countries," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3937, The World Bank.
- Novo, Paula & Garrido, Alberto, 2010. "The new Nicaraguan water law in context," IFPRI discussion papers 1005, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Madrigal, Roger & Alpizar, Francisco & Schluter, Achim, 2011. "Individual Perceptions and the Performance of Community-Based Drinking Water Organizations," Discussion Papers dp-11-07-efd, Resources For the Future.
- Dinar, Ariel & Kemper, Karin & Blomquist, William & Kurukulasuriya, Pradeep, 2006. "The Process and Performance of Decentralization of River Basin Resource Management: A Global Analysis," 2006 Annual meeting, July 23-26, Long Beach, CA 21093, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Claude Ménard & R. Maria Saleth, 2011. "The Effectiveness of Alternative Water Governance Arrangements," UniversitÃ© Paris1 PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-00624250, HAL.
- Venkatachalam, L., 2008. "Market-based instruments for water allocation in India: issues and the way forward," Conference Papers h042916, International Water Management Institute.
- Madrigal, Róger & Alpízar, Francisco & Schlüter, Achim, 2011. "Determinants of Performance of Community-Based Drinking Water Organizations," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 39(9), pages 1663-1675, September.
- Nisha K R, 2006. "Community Participation in Rural Water supply: An Analysis Using Household Data From North Kerala," Working Papers 173, Institute for Social and Economic Change, Bangalore.
- Saleth, Rathinasamy Maria & Dinar, A. & Neubert, S. & Kamaiah, B. & Manoharan, S. & Abayawardana, Sarath & Ariyaratne, Ranjith & de Silva, S., 2007. "Institutions, impact synergies and food security: a methodology with results from the Kala Oya Basin, Sri Lanka," IWMI Research Reports H040802, International Water Management Institute.
- Prager, Katrin & Schuler, Johannes & Helming, Katharina & Zander, Peter & Ratinger, Tomas & Hagedorn, Konrad, 2011. "An analytical framework for soil degradation, farming practices, institutions and policy responses," 2011 International Congress, August 30-September 2, 2011, Zurich, Switzerland 114773, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Wilson, R. Trevor, 2007. "Perceptions, practices, principles and policies in provision of livestock water in Africa," Agricultural Water Management, Elsevier, vol. 90(1-2), pages 1-12, May.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Breineder).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.