Measuring the Costs of Protection in Japan
AbstractThis is the companion volume to Gary Clyde Hufbauer and Kimberly Ann Elliott's Measuring the Costs of Protection in the United States (1994). It assesses Japanese trade barriers by identifying price differentials between imports and their (imperfect) domestic substitutes and then calculating the welfare effects of the implied trade barriers. The authors find that import barrier in place in 1989 cost Japanese consumers $105 billion, about 3.6 percent of GNP. If all such barriers were removed, Japanese imports could increase by $47 billion. The authors believe that the cost of import protection has increased in recent years. The book contains an overview chapter which describes parallels and differences in the US and Japanese structures of protection and compares the aggregate results.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoThis book is provided by Peterson Institute for International Economics in its series Peterson Institute Press: All Books with number 32 and published in 1995.
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Chemingui, Mohamed Abdelbasset & Dessus, Sébastien, 2008. "Assessing non-tariff barriers in Syria," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 30(5), pages 917-928.
- James E. Anderson & Eric van Wincoop, 2004.
NBER Working Papers
10480, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kishore Gawande & Pravin Krishna & Michael J. Robbins, 2006.
"Foreign Lobbies and U.S. Trade Policy,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 88(3), pages 563-571, August.
- Robinson, Sherman & Lewis, Jeffrey D., 1996. "Partners or predators? : the impact of regional trade liberalization on Indonesia," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1626, The World Bank.
- Lewis, Jeffrey D. & Robinson, Sherman & Zhi Wang, 1995.
"Beyond the Uruguay Round : the implications of an Asian free trade area,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
1467, The World Bank.
- Lewis, Jeffrey D. & Robinson, Sherman & Wang, Zhi, 1995. "Beyond the Uruguay Round: The implications of an Asian free trade area," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 35-90.
- Gordhan K. Saini, 2009. "Non-tariff measures and Indian textiles and clothing exports," Indira Gandhi Institute of Development Research, Mumbai Working Papers 2009-002, Indira Gandhi Institute of Development Research, Mumbai, India.
- Kyoji Fukao & Toshihiro Okubo, 2008.
"Why Has the Border Effect in the Japanese Machinery Sectors Declined? The Role of Business Networks in East Asian-Machinery Trade,"
Hi-Stat Discussion Paper Series
d07-238, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Fukao, Kyoji & Okubo, Toshihiro, 2011. "Why Has the Border Effect in the Japanese Machinery Sectors Declined?: The Role of Business Networks in East Asian Machinery Trade," Journal of Economic Integration, Center for Economic Integration, Sejong University, vol. 26, pages 651-671.
- Kyoji Fukao & Toshihiro Okubo, 2011. "Why Has the Border Effect in the Japanese Machinery Sectors Declined? The role of business networks in East Asian machinery trade," Keio/Kyoto Joint Global COE Discussion Paper Series 2011-007, Keio/Kyoto Joint Global COE Program.
- Kyoji Fukao & Toshihiro Okubo, 2011. "Why Has the Border Effect in the Japanese Machinery Sectors Declined? The Role of Business Networks in East Asian Machinery Trade," Global COE Hi-Stat Discussion Paper Series gd11-197, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Craig Parsons & Xavier Vanssay, 2014. "Detecting Market Competition in the Japanese Beer Industry," Journal of Industry, Competition and Trade, Springer, vol. 14(1), pages 123-143, March.
- Gordhan K. Saini, 2009. "Non-Tariff Measures and Indian Textiles and Clothing Exports," Trade Working Papers 22407, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Scott Bradford, 2000. "Rents, Votes, and Protection: Explaining the Structure of Trade Barriers Across Industries," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 1717, Econometric Society.
- Kyoji Fukao & Goushi Kataoka & Arata Kuno, 2003.
"How to Measure Non-tariff Barriers? A Critical Examination of the Price-Differential Approach,"
Hi-Stat Discussion Paper Series
d03-08, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Kyoji Fukao & Goushi Kataoka & Arata Kuno, 2004. "How to Measure Non-tariff Barriers? A Critical Examination of the Price-Differential Approach," Discussion papers 04015, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI).
- Uttam Kumar Deb, 2006. "Rules of Origin and Non-Tariff Barriers in Agricultural Trade: Perspectives from Bangladesh and Cambodia," Working Papers 1206, Asia-Pacific Research and Training Network on Trade (ARTNeT), an initiative of UNESCAP and IDRC, Canada..
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Peterson Institute webmaster).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.